Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
iPhone 16, 18.1b5, Windows 11

Any tips? I am trying to revert from 18.1b5 to 18.0 via iTunes on Windows 11. While connected to the PC (with the original Apple USB-C to USB-C cable) with iTunes open, I press volume up, volume down and then the lock button and hold. Eventually the phone shows the "plug into a PC" graphic and iTunes pops up a dialog stating that a device has been detected that needs to be restored. So far, I think this is normal?

But when I click RESTORE in that pop up dialog the dialog simply goes away and nothing else seems to happen. iTunes shows the phone, its serial number and "iPhone recovery mode" with an UPDATE and a RECOVERY button but nothing else happens.

If I click RESTORE on THAT page, the page goes away and iTunes is back to the state it is before I connect a phone. And still nothing happens.

If I give up and disconnect the phone and force a restart, I am back to IOS 18.1b5.

What am I doing wrong? I know this works because I have done it with other phones. I seem to recall a progress dialog that initially states that it is downloading IOS???

Paul

EDIT: While typing this post I clicked the RESTORE in the third paragraph above and then continued typing. Some time later, the phone rebooted but did NOT restore to 18.0.... it is still running 18.1b5. ???

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
Thanks, I'll try that. Any reason I have never seen any references to that app in all my searching?

Paul

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
Update.... Apple Devices worked as expected. Thanks!

Did they replace iTunes for Windows and I didn't get the message? iTunes works fine for syncing....

Paul

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
Well, that crashed and burned :( The restore never completed. It ended with a dialog box stating that an unknown error was encountered and the phone could not be restored. If I try the whole process over again, the phone goes into DFU mode, Apple Devices tries to restore, but after the "verifying restore with Apple" step completes, the process stalls at the "verifying retore" step and just hangs. It eventually pops up a dialog stating "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (10). 130A.0000" If I disconnect and force a restart it immediately goes into DFU mode. Time to head to the Apple store I think?

Or... is there a way to force it to re-download IOS 18.0 and try again? I'm thinking the first restore was corrupted?

Paul

pk0

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2009
Well, that crashed and burned :( The restore never completed. It ended with a dialog box stating that an unknown error was encountered and the phone could not be restored. If I try the whole process over again, the phone goes into DFU mode, Apple Devices tries to restore, but after the "verifying restore with Apple" step completes, the process stalls at the "verifying retore" step and just hangs. It eventually pops up a dialog stating "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (10). 130A.0000" If I disconnect and force a restart it immediately goes into DFU mode. Time to head to the Apple store I think?

Or... is there a way to force it to re-download IOS 18.0 and try again? I'm thinking the first restore was corrupted?

Paul
I would try downloading the 18.0 IPSW separately and then try selecting that during restore. You can find it by Googling "IPSW download". You may also try another computer if you can get ahold of one. I have a Desktop that will not restore my iPhone no matter what but a laptop that works just fine.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
What version of iTunes are you using? iTunes 12.13.3.2 is what works with iOS 18.0 although I have not tested for iOS 18.1 beta

I use Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 which does not have Microsoft Store so I don't know about Apple Devices app...

When I upgraded my iPhone 13 Pro from iOS 17.6 to iOS 17.7 then iOS 18.0, I used macOS 10.15 Catalina which downloaded an update to work with iOS 18.0

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
Hmmmm..... my (Windows 11) iTunes is version 12.13.2.3 and seems to be the latest? At least there are no updates offered.

Apple Devices is version 1.4.7.68 (1.1031.17413.0) and should be the latest since it was just downloaded.

But I think we're all barking around the right tree.... I just got off the phone with Apple and they say error (10) means the version of IOS on the phone is later than the version supported by "the computer" (I assume they meant Apple Devices). Since I can't seem to go any farther on my own, I made an appointment in-store for later this morning and I'll let them sort it out.

Thanks for the help!

Paul

heiskanenej

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2017
Another thread said that Apple Devices is not compatible with iOS 18. I don’t know about iTunes. I’m using 3uTools.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Hmmmm..... my (Windows 11) iTunes is version 12.13.2.3 [2 point 3] and seems to be the latest? At least there are no updates offered.
The version you have installed will only work with iOS 17.x while the link I have provided for iTunes 12.13.3.2 [3 point 2] is the one that will work for iOS 18.0 not sure if it will work with iOS 18.1 beta

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
The version you have installed will only work with iOS 17.x while the link I have provided for iTunes 12.13.3.2 [3 point 2] is the one that will work for iOS 18.0 not sure if it will work with iOS 18.1 beta
Hmmmm.... I just let Windows do some updates (none of which were for iTunes) and now iTunes shows version 12.13.3.2. Sneaky.

I'll try the process once more from iTunes.

Paul

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
And now iTunes 12.13.3.2 does not recognize the phone (in DFU mode) at all. So much for "Apple.... it just works", eh?

EDIT: Apple Devices DOES recognize it in DFU mode but will apparently brick it if used. Off to the Genius bar I go.....

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: winxmac

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
Just posting while I wait at the genius bar. I tried installing 3uTools and it looks like it might actually be able to install the proper restoration file but I didn't have time to try it before my appointment. It DID recognize the phone in DFU mode where iTunes did not.

Interestingly, his iTunes on his Mac at the genius bar could not recognize the phone either. He had to use something he called a reconfigurator tool to recognize it and it's now restoring.

Paul

Last edited:

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
Back from the Genius bar and I'm on 18.0. If I have to do this again, I will certainly try 3uTools ;)

Paul

iOSBry

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2013
Back from the Genius bar and I'm on 18.0. If I have to do this again, I will certainly try 3uTools ;)

Paul
I had the following issue with iOS 18.x, Apple Device and Windows 11:

Okay folks... got my iPhone 16 Pro today and immediately went to update it to iOS 18.1 beta 4 (iPhone17,1_18.1_22B5045h_Restore.ipsw) via the latest version of the Apple Devices app (on Windows 11) and it failed with an Unknown Error 10.

The 16 Pro then went into recovery mode and when connected to the Apple Devices app, it prompts me that it needs to download an update from Apple, but that update fails with Unknown Error 75.

Update: seeing if iOS 18.0 (22A3354) ipsw will work. Does not work either - Unknown Error 10

My iPhone 16 Pro recovery mode issue was resolved by restoring it via a Mac at an Apple Store.

There clearly is a bug with Apple Devices, iPhone 16 and Windows 11.

Reactions: huanbrother

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
I just reported this via the feedback app. But since I am now on 18.0, I'm not sure the right eyes will see it?

Paul

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
iTunes/Apple Devices probably aren't updated for 18.1. I've also heard that using a USB-C to C cable can cause issues.

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
You would think that with public betas out, they would have updated their utilities.

For what it’s worth, I did try a USB-A to USB-C cable with the same results.

But I guess all is well that ends well. I’m on 18.0 and it’s running fine. Just a little miffed about the drama it took to get there. I happen to live very close to an Apple Store, but if I was a couple hours away, I would be a much less happy camper.

And I should mention that there was even more drama once I got on 18.0. When I tried to force a backup, it failed, saying it could not do the back up because there was a backup from a newer version of iOS on iCloud. However, I couldn’t find a way to actually see that back up and remove it. In the end, I simply turned off backups and deleted everything and then reenabled backups. That succeeded.

Reactions: Paddle1

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Eventually the phone shows the "plug into a PC" graphic and iTunes pops up a dialog stating that a device has been detected that needs to be restored. So far, I think this is normal?
This isn't DFU mode; it's Recovery mode. DFU mode will have a completely black screen. It's harder to get into since you have to get the timing of the button presses perfect. I've had similar issues in the past where a restore didn't work in Recovery mode, but it worked in DFU mode since the restore process is different between these two modes.

iTunes/Apple Devices probably aren't updated for 18.1.
This is my thought as well, especially considering the phone was in Recovery mode instead of DFU mode. This even happens when using a Mac to restore an iPhone/iPad. If macOS isn't in the beta program, it can't find the newer drivers since they're still in beta and haven't been released to the public "channel" yet. You have to find them yourself in the beta Xcode app package. Not sure how one would go about doing that for Windows. In either case, it really shouldn't matter though as long as you get it into DFU mode.

Last edited:

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
This isn't DFU mode; it's Recovery mode. DFU mode will have a completely black screen. It's harder to get into since you have to get the timing of the button presses perfect. I've had similar issues in the past where a restore didn't work in Recovery mode, but it worked in DFU mode since the restore process is different between these two modes.

My bad, sorry. Yes, I meant recovery mode. I was under the mistaken impression that recovery and DFU were the same thing ;)

Paul

huanbrother

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2012
CHINA
I had the following issue with iOS 18.x, Apple Device and Windows 11:

Okay folks... got my iPhone 16 Pro today and immediately went to update it to iOS 18.1 beta 4 (iPhone17,1_18.1_22B5045h_Restore.ipsw) via the latest version of the Apple Devices app (on Windows 11) and it failed with an Unknown Error 10.

The 16 Pro then went into recovery mode and when connected to the Apple Devices app, it prompts me that it needs to download an update from Apple, but that update fails with Unknown Error 75.

Update: seeing if iOS 18.0 (22A3354) ipsw will work. Does not work either - Unknown Error 10

My iPhone 16 Pro recovery mode issue was resolved by restoring it via a Mac at an Apple Store.

There clearly is a bug with Apple Devices, iPhone 16 and Windows 11.
It seems that the Apple Devices application for Windows may not have been updated yet to support ipsw file operations such as updating and restoring for the newest iPhone models.

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
Out of curiosity, regardless of whether it works or not, how can you even point the Apple Devices utility to an IPSW file? I didn't see any way in the settings.....

I'm also curious..... if iTunes and Apple Devices both don't work to revert to 18.0, how is ANYONE doing it? Does everyone have to go to an Apple store if they want to revert? Or does it actually work for some people? That would seem to be a rather major oversight?

Paul

pk0

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2009
Out of curiosity, regardless of whether it works or not, how can you even point the Apple Devices utility to an IPSW file? I didn't see any way in the settings.....

I'm also curious..... if iTunes and Apple Devices both don't work to revert to 18.0, how is ANYONE doing it? Does everyone have to go to an Apple store if they want to revert? Or does it actually work for some people? That would seem to be a rather major oversight?

Paul
I restored from iOS 18.1 to iOS 18 on Monday using iTunes with no issues. Your issue is not happening to everyone.

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
I wonder if it was my particular sequence of events?

1. I first tried the version of iTunes (Windows) that I had, 12.13.2.3. It recognized the phone in recovery mode but didn't appear to do anything after I clicked RESTORE and the phone booted back to 18.1 when I exited recovery mode.

2. I then tried the current version of Apple Devices, which did begin a restore but failed with an error 10. After that, the phone would only boot directly to recovery mode.

3. After iTunes mysteriously updated itself to 12.13.3.2 during a Windows update, I tried again but version 12.13.3.2 would not recognize the phone in recovery mode.

4. The copy of iTunes at the Apple store also failed to detect the phone and they were ready to do a warranty exchange but their "reconfigurator" tool did recognize the phone and restored it to 18.0 without incident.

So maybe if I had the correct version of iTunes at the outset, it would have restored without incident? Still don't know how it updated itself.... it was not offering an update and it was not among the things that were listed to be updated by the Windows Update that I ran.

Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.