Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Hey i was curious if the airport TSA x-ray (security proceedings) can damage my 5d-mii sensor/ chip?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
No, but the cosmic radiation at altitude will. I don't think the degradation is enough to affect the relatively short-lived cameras of today even if you flew with it every day though. When we get DSLRs that will last like film cameras did then it'll be an issue.

zeeflyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
No, but the cosmic radiation at altitude will. I don't think the degradation is enough to affect the relatively short-lived cameras of today even if you flew with it every day though. When we get DSLRs that will last like film cameras did then it'll be an issue.

I certainly hope not...

I fly for a living and often take my camera! It's bad enough that damned cosmic radiation increases my cancer risk - it can bloody well leave my camera alone!

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I certainly hope not...

I fly for a living and often take my camera! It's bad enough that damned cosmic radiation increases my cancer risk - it can bloody well leave my camera alone!

It does, there have been at least two studies citing hot pixels and the randomness exhibited by where the dead pixels end up being- I'll just put you on my "not gonna buy used stuff from" list ;)

Paul

zeeflyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
It does, there have been at least two studies citing hot pixels and the randomness exhibited by where the dead pixels end up being- I'll just put you on my "not gonna buy used stuff from" list ;)

Paul

Dayum....

Still, good excuse to upgrade every now and then I suppose! "No honey, you don't understand - I have to buy a new camera because those infernal cosmic rays have been playing havoc with my sensor..."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.