Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dudeofblokes

macrumors regular
Original poster
I’ve just turned on my m1 16 MacBook Pro, it’s only on its second power cycle and this large line has appeared down the screen, it’s never been dropped and has been safely kept.

I’ve tried diagnostics but to no avail and I’m currently going to upgrade it to sonoma, but it’s out of warranty and I cant afford £800 to fix it.

Any advice would be great

Attachments

• IMG_0558.jpeg
    IMG_0558.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 147

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
That looks like miscalibrated or faulty mini led array column, if it was purchased direct from apple you might be able to get resolution under consumer law, assuming it remains after further power cycles. Though I would wonder why it's been sat unused for so long, too?

Reactions: madeirabhoy

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Good luck, hopefully can sort something.. might need to push the consumer law stuff ( again, as long as it was purchased from Apple, otherwise it would need to be with the store it was purchased from, but Apple tend to be more reasonable than many on this ), depends a lot on what kind of person get.

Hopefully some kind of lesson also learnt, stuff like that needs to be checked as soon as bought, can't ever assume is going to be OK.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
Somehow I have a really hard time believing you'd buy an expensive MBP when it is released, not use it for years and then when booting it up expecting it to be great (wonder how it was stored all that time). And then complain that you do not have the money to fix it?! If you had it sitting for no reason for 3 years and had to money to waste on something that you were not going to use then why care now?

It is interesting that anyone responds as if this is a normal thing to do.

Since you know how much it is to repair, did you go to apple and have them look at it or is the 800 just something you made up?

I'm just baffled.... this post just does not make any sense to me in any real way.

dudeofblokes

macrumors regular
Original poster
The average repair cost is £799 for screen repairs apple makes that clear for out of warranty repairs.

I bought it at launch but due to this being as we were coming out of covid my career changed and I was issued a work iMac, so this just didn’t get used as wasn’t needed, now I’m returning to education I needed to use my own dedicated machine again. Not sure why people are so perplexed with this part.

Power cycle image shown here

Attachments

• IMG_0570.png
    IMG_0570.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 71

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Thought that would be pretty likely, as there's no way that can really be accidental damage etc, and it's expensive enough item that 3-4 years expected lifespan should be minimum

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.