Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2GoldFish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
Hi All, wondering if you can help with this one.

In the event if you lose your iPhone and wants to sign into iCloud to disable (or lock, or erase) your iPhone.

Would Two-Factor Authentication stop you from doing so? (i.e. does it require you to have your iPhone with you in order to log into iCloud?)

Provided you do not own another other Apple devices.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

In the event if you lose your iPhone and wants to sign into iCloud to disable (or lock, or erase) your iPhone.

Would Two-Factor Authentication stop you from doing so? (i.e. does it require you to have your iPhone with you in order to log into iCloud?)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver

You can log in to icloud.com from another device / browser - I am assuming that would be sufficient but am not sure - it might be good to login from a another device / browser just in case - to create a second trusted device for access to your apple id and iCloud account? iCloud.com will send a message somewhere for a second verification so you may need to have one.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
When setting up ANY two factor you should have backup methods to get into your account in case you lose your phone. With Apple you can get 2FA alerts on your iPad and Mac if I should lose your iPhone. I also have backup phone numbers configured.

2GoldFish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
When setting up ANY two factor you should have backup methods to get into your account in case you lose your phone. With Apple you can get 2FA alerts on your iPad and Mac if I should lose your iPhone. I also have backup phone numbers configured.

So in the event if I am to go travel, I have to take 2 Apple devices with me?

What if I only have 1 Apple device with me during my trip? (e.g. iPhone)

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
So in the event if I am to go travel, I have to take 2 Apple devices with me?

No. You should configure 2FA with backup phone numbers. Call that person and have them read you the two factor code that was sent to their phone when you specified it.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915

A trusted phone number is a number that can be used to receive verification codes by text message or automated phone call. You must verify at least one trusted phone number to enroll in two-factor authentication.

You should also consider verifying an additional phone number you can access, such as a home phone, or a number used by a family member or close friend. You can use this number if you temporarily can't access your primary number or your own devices.

Ruskes

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2019
You can also get it on any other phone inclusive Google voice.
[doublepost=1549949638][/doublepost]

Do you have only one set of house or car keys?
You can set up more than one phone to get the code, that you can choose at the time of log in.
upload_2019-2-11_22-31-36.png

My Google Voice Phone number is accessible online with any device not just Apple.
Google Voice is free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.