Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zqbobs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
My wife and I both have iPhones with the same AT&T service. Mine is an iPhone 13 mini, iOS v16.2, and hers an iPhone SE, iOS v15.7.3. Both of us use the same default Apple app, Weather, with data from Apple Weather (Apple says iOS 15.2 or earlier uses the Weather Channel). We both have Weather set to use Precise Location services while using the app.

We see different temps and forecasts for the same location (Tucson). For example, as I write this, with both phones in front of me:
low today: hers 34 - mine 35
humidity today: hers 8% - mine 11%
range tomorrow: hers 42-69 - mine 40-69
Monday forecast: hers 38-55, 60% rain - mine 42-53, 50% rain

Sometimes, even the current temp differs by a degree or two. We cannot figure out any reason or pattern for these differences. Can anyone explain or suggest possibilities?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I could be wrong, but I think all iOS 15 versions get the weather data from The Weather Channel, and iOS 16 uses Apple's own internal weather data. (Not sure where you seen the comment about 15.2.)

On your wife's phone, you will probably see The Weather Channels's logo at the bottom of the weather app. In iOS 16, the logo is no longer there, but there is a button where you can report inaccurate weather conditions to Apple instead.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That would just be a difference in how different "receivers" display the data that is provided.
There is likely just a range that is offered, and different devices will show slightly different data.

If the incoming data is not particularly precise (and why would you expect it to be?), then there will always be some difference.
You can say the current temperature is "about 35 degrees", so seeing 34 degrees is still about 35 degrees.

zqbobs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
The Weather Channel logo does not appear on either phone in the weather app.

My reference to Weather Channel being used before iOS 15.2 comes from a link at the bottom of the weather app to "Learn more about weather data and map data". The link is to an Apple support document dated Sept 12, 2022.

I don't understand DeltaMac's point, but maybe I don't know how the weather info is transmitted. I'm assuming it's digital and should be the same numbers received by each phone. But, if each phone "pings" the weather data source at different times to get data, maybe that could explain the differences seen in the weather app.

Reactions: DeltaMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.