Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
I'm surprised to see Sony attack the high-end of the dSLR market and not the low end first.

I honestly would have expected an Alpha dSLR to slot in under their current A100, but I guess if they want to seriously go toe to toe with Canon and Nikon, might as well get started as early as possible.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I'm surprised to see Sony attack the high-end of the dSLR market and not the low end first.

I honestly would have expected an Alpha dSLR to slot in under their current A100, but I guess if they want to seriously go toe to toe with Canon and Nikon, might as well get started as early as possible.

I think they are trying to establish themselves first then the halo marketing will work in their favour, also probably much larger margins involved at the high end.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA

how much lower than the a100 can they go?

i have the a100 and i love it. but to me it's the new low end as far as dslr go. you can't have less than 10MP because of marketing (numbers sell). and all the other features are necessary to compete with the nikon/canon offers.

they just have to come up with a much wider lens selection now and some more accessories, gps and what not.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Pro level lenses?

How does the $6,000 300mm f/2.8 sound? Or $1,300 Carl Zeiss 85mm f/1.4? Or $2,400 70-200 f/2.8 G?

Actually, they sound ridiculously expensive to me.

Sigma makes most of their lenses for the Sony/Minolta system. On the other hand, the ones that they don't make are all top of the line lenses.

Sounds like a work in progress.

superted666

Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
True they are exspensive but keep in mind these lenses perform very very well in tests and sony are new to the game with the pro body's not on sale yet.
As production numbers go up for these lenses the price will come down

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
True they are exspensive but keep in mind these lenses perform very very well in tests and sony are new to the game with the pro body's not on sale yet.
As production numbers go up for these lenses the price will come down

Not if they are Zeiss. Just look at how Zeiss lenses for Contax have held their price despite Contax being discontinued. This goes for both the used and new markets.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.

I don't know how many pros will just ditch all of their L or EX glass for some body that is currently just a high end sony model, with no concrete specs. Anyways, Sony and Pentax are in sort of a rivalry right now, so I hope this will prompt a higher end Pentax release. Pentax already has models to rival the Rebel/30D/D40/D40x/D80, but there's really no equivalent of a D200/5D or D2x/1D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.