Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lily@PITAKA

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 18, 2020
Although Apple Macbook Pros switching over to USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 several years ago, the iPhone still sticks to the lightning port. However, as we can tell, most new Android phones, have all switched to USB-C. According to the news, Recently EU lawmakers will take action to force Apple to ditch its own charger in the form of its Lightning cable. So why Apple doesn't move away from the lightning port? When do you think an iPhone with USB-C is happening?

F308gt4

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2020
I hope they do change to USB-C. I’m still using my iPad Pro 10.5 with lightning port, because I don’t want to have to carry around different cables for different devices. If they switch phones to USB-C, I’ll get one of the new phones and a new iPad Pro.

Lily@PITAKA

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 18, 2020
I hope they do change to USB-C. I’m still using my iPad Pro 10.5 with lightning port, because I don’t want to have to carry around different cables for different devices. If they switch phones to USB-C, I’ll get one of the new phones and a new iPad Pro.
Yeah, there are two opinions Apple will either ditch the lightning port or develop a "completely wireless" iPhone, but we never know when it's going to happen.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
They've also built a bit of an ecosystem of Lightning-based accessories—AirPods, the Magic Trackpad 2, the Magic Mouse 2, the Magic Keyboard, the original Apple Pencil, the Logitech Crayon, all the random non-Pro iPads, and the Apple TV remotes. Besides controlling the connector for $$$, I wouldn't be surprise if a move away from Lightning might be more disruptive than the move from the Dock Connector to Lightning for some people ("They're always changing the connector!")

For me personally, it wouldn't disrupt much since my iPhone charges via Qi and I'd just need a USB-A->USB-C cable for the car. Everything else would still be Lightning and it would just become my "iPad and Apple accessory charging cable."

If I'm guessing, the entire iPad line moves to USB-C first, unless the EU mandates that Apple change future iPhones. There's a lot of possibilities regarding the EU, as there's talk that it might just be concerning the chargers themselves, or if you can use an adapter, or if the device itself needs USB-C. I kind of wish they had thought of the outcome first, but we'll just have to see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.