Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Airborne-Ape

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
I got a U2 and have owned a 9,7,5,4,3,1,0 previously. I've never had any problems with my apple watches until this issue with the Ultra 2. I don't use a case or any sort of exterior protection that would alter the hydrodynamics.

When I use the new audio playback in watch OS 11 with the ultra 2's speaker in rain outdoors it draws excessive moisture into the audio chamber and suppresses the speaker movement range leading to muffled and/or muted sounds for extended periods.

Using the water eject function multiple consecutive times from the control centre will not clear the water out. The only solution is to literally suck the water out of the speaker holes to restore its functionality.

I regularly swim and go boating with my Apple watches and have no issues with any of them in a dedicated pool / beach / underwater scenario.

My issue is specifically audio playback with the Ultra 2 speaker while outdoors in the rain. In this situation, the audio chamber draws in more water than it's capable of ejecting on its own.

I'm keeping the watch. It's not broken. The hardware was simply designed before Watch OS 11 and the feature is an add-on. Everything it was originally designed to do works great.

I'm curious if the AWS 10 has the same issue since it was designed in tandem to accommodate the functionality of Watch OS 11?

This isn't a complaint; just my observation of ownership. I'm keeping my Ultra 2, but others may want to consider this hardware limitation and wait for the Ultra 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.