Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
Hey there! I recently have been pondering about switching to Ubuntu, or an Ubuntu based OS (Zorin/ElementaryOS). I enjoy the Mac ecosystem, but my main Mac is a Hackintosh (Similar specs to a low end 2013 Mac Pro but better GPU) and my MacBooks are a 13" and 17" from 2009 and 2010, respectively. My hardware is aging, but I don't have a need for anything new. My Hackintosh triple boots into Ubuntu and Windows for gaming.

The point here, I can install Ubuntu 16.04 on the 2009 and 2010 and it works perfectly. If I want to install anything newer of any other distro it doesn't work no matter what graphics driver I am using. If you close the lid, it will not wake from suspend. If you use the power button to suspend it first, it still won't. The exception to this is Fedora Gnome works fine, but I want an Ubuntu or Debian based distro. I think it might have something to do with the kernel version, but I can't say for sure.

Anyone have any input on this?

kencu

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2019
I find on my 2006 MacBook 2,1 running the very latest Ubuntu 21.04 with today's kernel, that if I suspend from the menu before closing the lid it works right almost always. If I just close the lid it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't reawaken.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
try the unbuntu forms
they are wise in the ways of assisting other with issues like this.
i think you need a terminal code patch for the power issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.