Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
I found a Best Buy that broke street date release on a T2i and bought it. However, I am still broken between the T2i and the D90... any thoughts before I open the T2i?

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I found a Best Buy that broke street date release on a T2i and bought it. However, I am still broken between the T2i and the D90... any thoughts before I open the T2i?

Buyers remorse in not pretty :D:D I don't know what to tell you, but what I have always done is to buy and to never look back. That works for me.

iSax1234

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Virginia
The t2i is much much better from what I've seen. It is 18 megapixels vs 12. It is NEW so its going to have better resale down the road. As well the 1080p is AMAZING!!! I know a videographer who bought one just to use it for video and its great.

Now I just got my first dslr a month ago the D5000 and I don't understand why people pay more for the D90. If you go to dpreview the d90 has like one or two things better than the D5000 and then the D5000 has everything else better than the D90.

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
The t2i is much much better from what I've seen. It is 18 megapixels vs 12. It is NEW so its going to have better resale down the road. As well the 1080p is AMAZING!!! I know a videographer who bought one just to use it for video and its great.

Now I just got my first dslr a month ago the D5000 and I don't understand why people pay more for the D90. If you go to dpreview the d90 has like one or two things better than the D5000 and then the D5000 has everything else better than the D90.

D90 have more settings and is all around higher grade, for instance you have to use the auto setting on the 550D to get some shutter speeds, the 550D has front focus problems at the moment and is more expensive because it's new. If you do video then the 550D is something to consider but other than that the D90 blows it away in features and build quality. If you get a good sample of the 550D then the picture quality of the photos taken is the same between the D90 and the 550D, they are just for different people that look for different things.

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
I was having the same problem you had, I also noticed bestbuy was selling this early (still on preorder on bestbuy.com) I won't say they broke the street date cause other stores have been selling them for over 3 weeks. I say keep the canon imo. Join some Nikon d90 and Canon 550d/t2i groups on flickr, and get some information and read reviews etc. You will be surprise to see how much the Canon T2i can do that the Canon 7D does. I also joined this canon forum and got alot of information about this camera. http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=847939 all the pictures on this thread was taken with a canon t2i.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC

Another big difference is the D5000 has a pentamiror with 95% coverage that produces a .78x image. The D90 has a prism with 96% coverage that produces a .95x image. That's a huge difference.

The D90 has an in-body focus motor, so it can autofocus with Nikon's huge catalogue of older lenses.

The D90 also has two control dials, so you can simultaneously control aperture and shutter speed, for example. This is common on all mid- to high-end cameras. Entry level cameras like the D5000 have one.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I just bought a d90 the other day... My sales guy at a reputable camera store on LI said the rebel is more for consumers and the d90 is for hobbyist... There are other reason for me going with the nikon such as 11 point AF.
I never held the t2i but from the other rebels it felt more solid in my hands...
Go to a camera store and say your thinking of getting either and see what they say are the pros/cons of each..and play with them and various lens you are considering.. (that's what i did b/c i'm not a professional)

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
They're both great cameras. The D90 has done very well on the market, but it is due for a refresh. The T2i is brand new and the reviews compare the IQ reasonably close to that of a 7D. Looking at it this way, a T2i sounds like a great deal.

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Another big difference is the D5000 has a pentamiror with 95% coverage that produces a .78x image. The D90 has a prism with 96% coverage that produces a .95x image. That's a huge difference.

The D90 has an in-body focus motor, so it can autofocus with Nikon's huge catalogue of older lenses.

The D90 also has two control dials, so you can simultaneously control aperture and shutter speed, for example. This is common on all mid- to high-end cameras. Entry level cameras like the D5000 have one.

+1

The viewfinder alone is worth the difference in price (to me). Once you have to spend a few hundred dollars more on a prime with a BIM than the price-gap pretty much evaporates.

People love saying the D90 is due for a refresh, but I'd buy it again today (even though it's a couple years old).

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Buy the T2i!

Yes, I'm biased. I own it. I upgraded from an XS and honestly...it's awesome!

The screen is awesome, the HD video is fantastic! A few days after buying it I shot three videos with it that we displayed on a huge screen and the video was still sharp.

I love it compared to my XS, but that's the only thing I can compare it too.

My only regret is not buying a used 7D. I bought the T2i new and it came to $1100 after taxes, but I've seen several used 7Ds for $1450. That might be something you should consider.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
I'd stay with Canon.

But in the end, they'll do the same thing. You just need a camera that lets you set shutter, aperture, and iso.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.