Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple fan23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
I can't seem to find this info anywhere..... can anyone stream UHD/4K video on Netflix on their new Apple Studio Display?

I can't seem to. I does Dolby Vision or HD but never both, and never UHD. I am using a MacBook po, i7, 2020 (4 ports).

Would love it if someone could check. (obvs you'd need a UHD Netflix subscription)
Thanks!!

AppleStudioDisplayUser

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2022
Watching Netflix on the new apple studio display is not clear to say the least, it seems refresh rate is an issue and I see rainbow colors all over, picture has too much noise and colors appear all over

1665516318256.png

SpaceGrayAlways

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
I wanted to bump this topic back up as I was just about to post about this same topic. I was trying to do some digging as I cannot for the life of me get my Netflix to play even in 1080p let alone UHD on either of my Studio Displays.

In the Netflix FAQ, it reads:

"If connecting to one or more external displays, each connected display must have a minimum 60Hz refresh rate and UHD/4K resolution, and be connected using a HDCP 2.2 rated video cable."

Source: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/55764

I can't seem to figure out if the Studio Display is therefore somehow excluded from this? Any thoughts from anyone?

Brewnasty

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2020
@apple fan23 I know this is an old thread, but on my Mac Mini connected to the Studio Display, I can see Dolby Vision when selecting a Show and during playthrough using the ctrl + cmd +shift + d option. Check the attached files.

I'm unsure if it's Apple providing the details of the content's original source playback or if it is actually playing in its source playback.

HDR Support = True

And the Video Codec = DV (Dolby Vision)

Update 1/3/2023: I do not think it is playing true source playback it is just providing the details of the source content.

Attachments

• MindhunterDV.png
    MindhunterDV.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • SettingsMindhunter.png
    SettingsMindhunter.png
    255.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.