Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WiLLGT09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Hi all,

I've noticed an odd macOS UI behavior recently with my MacBooks when using an external display, and I'm having trouble diagnosing and sussing out cause, as I've experienced this on two different MacBooks each with different versions of macOS. Here's what I'm seeing:

1) Will be using the laptop on its own, and the system is fluid and snappy as I would expect. Moving app windows around is smooth, swiping between Mission Control Spaces is smooth, and using other Mission Control features like Hot Corners to bring up Mission Control or show Desktop is smooth and animations are all fluid. All normal.

2) Will then later attach the MacBook to my LG 4K UltraFine display (via Thunderbolt to a CalDigit TS3 dock), and suddenly, I notice a fair amount of lag or jerkiness when moving app windows, using Mission Control, moving between Spaces, dragging windows around between external display and MacBook display (lid is open).

3) Issue will very temporarily "fix itself" if I "killall Dock" via the Terminal. The solution, so far, is to disconnect the display and reconnect it. And now everything is okay. System is back to its usual fluid, smooth self.

I first noticed this behavior with my M1 MacBook Air that was running the betas of macOS Sequoia. At first, I just chalked this up to a usual beta OS wonkiness. However, I just noticed this same behavior on my 13" M2 MacBook Pro running macOS Sonoma (14.6.1). Again, unplugging the display and reconnecting the TB cable seems to fix the issue.

So it doesn't seem related to a particular laptop, nor a particular OS version. However, I'm wondering if it's A) something related to my CalDigit dock and/or cable connection (??) or B) the fact that I do tend to use the battery setting where it uses Low Power Mode while on battery power -- and then switches to the normal power mode when plugged into power. That is a consistency between both laptops. Since the Thunderbolt cable for the display is also providing power to the laptop, I wonder if there is some display or wonkiness with macOS toggling between Low Power Mode and "Normal Mode" when also handling the display output connection at the same time.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? I'm going to switch my MacBook Pro back to the default power settings (Low Power Mode set to Never) and see if I continue to notice this behavior.

Thanks!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What happens if you eliminate the dock from the equation, and connect the display DIRECTLY to the laptop?

Reactions: WiLLGT09

WiLLGT09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
What happens if you eliminate the dock from the equation, and connect the display DIRECTLY to the laptop?
Well... it must be related to my CalDigit TS3 dock. Unhooked the dock, plugged MacBook Pro directly to the monitor (using the same battery settings on the Mac as before), and everything seems nice and smooth.

So, not a big mystery after all! :) Guess I'll start looking around for a new dock solution. Thanks!

WiLLGT09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Ok, I spoke too soon. I'm now seeing the same laggy UI behavior again, without the Dock. Strange. No apps or processes appear to be taxing my system; nothing is using a lot of CPU or memory at the moment...

EDIT: In the process of me typing this reply, the behavior has gone away once again. Without me having to do or change anything. Odd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.