Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
I like the idea of an Apple Pencil 2. But not enough to pay £120. I'm no artist and it'd just be helping me out in things like text editing or browsing.

So, UK users – two questions, I guess:

1. Is there a cheap(er) place to get one?
  2. I'm in no rush, so is there something to wait for, like a sale at certain retailers? Black Friday's an obvious one. Are there other events that might be worth waiting for?
  3. Bearing in mind the simplicity of what I need, is a Pencil 1 or Logitech Crayon a better idea? Are you in the same boat, and if so how did you find it?

Neil.gtis

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2021
England
I got a cheap one of Amazon uk for £20
And use it much like you want one for
I use it on my mini 6 it’s rechargeable
But not on the iPad
Neil

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
To answer my own question, I just bought a “active stylus” knock off from Amazon. £25. Essentially identical to an Apple Pencil 1, while also magnetically sticking to the side of the iPad. Works great. I call it the Apple Biro, because it’s just like using a pen with ink—no touch sensitivity, but you wouldn’t expect that from a pen. Perfect for note taking and marking up PDFs etc.

lostPod

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2022
To answer my own question, I just bought a “active stylus” knock off from Amazon. £25. Essentially identical to an Apple Pencil 1, while also magnetically sticking to the side of the iPad. Works great. I call it the Apple Biro, because it’s just like using a pen with ink—no touch sensitivity, but you wouldn’t expect that from a pen. Perfect for note taking and marking up PDFs etc.
Do you have a link ?

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Do you have a link ?

There are loads. Just search Amazon for “active stylus ipad“, and then check the reviews. This last bit is really important because, although there are two or three basic designs offered by loads of sellers, they don’t all work the same despite looking the same. I suspect price is important – the rate seems to be around £25-£30 for a decent one, while the ones that look identical at £20 seem to have some poor reviews.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.