Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ullbeking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2018
London
Hello!

The charging circuitry on my iPhone SE went kaput some time ago.

I am looking for a recommendation for a repair engineer in the UK who is committed to a professional job and who treats their customers with respect.

Background:

It was difficult to find somebody who could repair it and I didn't even really know who to ask or where to begin really digging. I actually sent away overseas to a well known and widely respected iPhone repair store in the US. This repair shop had been recommended by a well known person in the Apple repair world via numerous shout outs in their videos, so that's really all I had to go from.

The service was appalling and the problem nevertheless remains. They wouldn't accept the phone back when they had failed to complete the job.

I'm going to cut my losses but nevertheless I need to make some noise about this. At the very least to protect other people from well meaning but misguided recommendations from a highly influential professional in the Apple repair community.

Nevertheless this iPhone SE is important to me so it would be great to find somebody who can repair it with some TLC and who isn't going to speak to me rudely.

Kind regards,

Thank you!!

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
iPhones are almost considered to be disposable products (i.e. get a new one when one breaks).

I'm not sure if you can find someone that will fix it and would probably recommend that you buy a replacement iPhone.

ullbeking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2018
London
iPhones are almost considered to be disposable products (i.e. get a new one when one breaks).

I'm not sure if you can find someone that will fix it and would probably recommend that you buy a replacement iPhone.

I'm tempted to agree, i.e., to cut my losses, say good bye to the SE (the best of all iPhones), and to invest in a newer one when I can afford it.

I understand perfectly well that investing money in a broken SE at this stage is a lost cause from a financial perspective and a future usability perspective. It's gotten to the point where I'm throwing good money after bad. I've been struggling with this damn phone until I'm blue in the face and now I just want to throw it out the window, but there are various reasons that this SE needs fixing.

On this particular iPhone SE there is still data that I need to pull from it. I can not even make a backup of its contents.

Personally I'm considering moving on to a small iPad and an Android phone instead. I would love to say good bye to smartphones altogether, get a new, simple, burner style Nokia that does phone calls and SMS, and run apps on a laptop computer or iPad.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
You didn't just go to Apple as your first port of call? Or have Apple already refused to fix it/ charged an extortionate price to do it?

ullbeking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2018
London
You didn't just go to Apple as your first port of call? Or have Apple already refused to fix it/ charged an extortionate price to do it?

This is obviously going to be the most reliable option, but I was once rejected by Apple on a technicality, which I thought was out of line. I'm going to ask them again. Like I said I'd love to get rid of it but there are reasons that I need this specific phone back in good working order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.