Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Hi guys,

So I think the SATA cable on my trusty MBP is on its way out. I know eBay have a lot but in my experience they're not going to be good and certainly not going to be genuine, despite what the listing says.

I could go iFixit but then that's an arm and a leg for the part and then about the same for shipping alone.

I'd go Apple for a genuine part, but then they'd slap on an 85 quid labour charge for a 2 minute job and wouldn't just sell me the part to do it myself.

Does anybody in the UK have a good suggestion for where to buy a decent SATA cable for the 15" cMBP, or even a reliable parts seller on eBay? There's so much choice and I don't want to make the wrong one.

Thanks!

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
AFAIK, you can only get OEM Apple cables from an authorized Apple dealer, Apple store, or Apple repair centre; however, these places are not allowed to sell the cable without installing it into the customer's machine.

Last edited:

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
yeah I got thru the bookyard as is genuine apple parts both new and used.

not sure how they sell without fitting then with getting the wrath of apple on them.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The backyard doesn't appear to be an authorized Apple reseller and their parts appear to be used rather than new. This is probably why the can do this.

Forgot to mention that I only replaced the sata cable since the IR header detaches from the cable.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
they sell new ones too.

£22 plus vat for the 2012 sata/ir cable, new.

we use them at work and get trade discount (which is not much off the prices)
however we do not see many apples for repair in our workshop

Reactions: Audit13

slam5

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011
Hi guys,

So I think the SATA cable on my trusty MBP is on its way out. I know eBay have a lot but in my experience they're not going to be good and certainly not going to be genuine, despite what the listing says.

I could go iFixit but then that's an arm and a leg for the part and then about the same for shipping alone.

I'd go Apple for a genuine part, but then they'd slap on an 85 quid labour charge for a 2 minute job and wouldn't just sell me the part to do it myself.

Does anybody in the UK have a good suggestion for where to buy a decent SATA cable for the 15" cMBP, or even a reliable parts seller on eBay? There's so much choice and I don't want to make the wrong one.

Thanks!

Those eBay cables are fine. These ain’t rocket science.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.