Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UnclePaulie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
LA, CA
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good ultra-compact/ultra-slim digital camera. When I'm really taking pictures, I use a Nikon D40. However, I am looking for a camera thin enough to fit in a jeans pocket without sacrificing too much image quality. Lower light performance is also important to me. I currently have a Canon SD850, and I like my photos from it, but it's too bulky for me (a little too thick for a jeans pocket).
Any advice? Thanks in advance.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
I like Canons, but Panasonics, as of late, have been impressing me a lot more than the recent batch of new Canons (I'm considering getting a cheap Panasonic to complement my D90). All Panasonics have image stabilization and wider lenses than their competitors (which, after having a Canon SD800, is rather valuable for me). And they take good pictures.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I picked up the low-end Lumix LZ8 and also a Sony W120 for my girl (it's more stylish.) I paid approx. $120 each. The Lumix has a bit more flexibility, and I like the controls/menus a bit better, and it has a great hi-speed burst mode, although at smaller (2.5 megapixel size.) Also, it uses the same SD cards I use for my D50. However, I also really like using the little Sony. It's metal, slimmer and actually focuses and responds faster, just seems a bit more snappy. The menus aren't as intuitive, but once you get used to it, it's fine. The Sony LCD display isn't as high res as the Panasonic, but it's not a big deal. The Lumix uses AA batteries, and I really recommend getting rechargable lithiums or you'll be going through batteries. The Sony (naturally) uses it's own proprietary battery, and they cost over $40, as well as it's own memory stick format. I did pick up a 2GB memory stick for $12.

In the end, I like them both. They both were the top choices in DPReview's budget p/s shootout. Both have good lenses (Leica and Zeiss) and start out around 32mm equiv. The Lumix has a longer zoom. You might want to look at the next level Lumix cameras, as they have the slim metal models, and the slightly less slim metal AA versions with longer lenses. The lower end LZ8 has a plastic body, but in black it looks fine, just not quite as flashy as the super slim metal cameras.

Both are pocketable for the most part. (just don't sit on them...)

Canons have always been the dominant maker in this category of cameras, but I think taking a serious look at the Panasonic Lumix line, and the Sony DSC-W series would be really worth it...

I haven't used the video mode much yet, but the Lumix has an option for bigger video than the Sony, if that matters.

UnclePaulie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
LA, CA
Thanks a lot for the replies. I like Canon's too, I was just wondering if I could find something a little slimmer while still retaining quality. The link to that DPreview article seems helpful.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Thanks a lot for the replies. I like Canon's too, I was just wondering if I could find something a little slimmer while still retaining quality. The link to that DPreview article seems helpful.

I've never used one but the sony cybershots are pretty thin... Thin seems to be what your after, thats the only reason I'm suggesting this camera

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.