Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
Great comparison. Thanks. To solve those issues I will just wear both, Enduro 2 on left and Ultra on right hand.

Reactions: jole

jbrmusic

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2022
Great thoughts. I had the Fenix 5HR in the past and moved to Apple Watch 6. Being a biker and runner (and a diver too). it was like going back to stone age in regard of training assistance. No proper trainings analytics, the stupid rings just killed me. No ANT+ connectivity etc. Whenever I look into the fitness app I want to cry. It is like eating a Hamburger at McDonalds while you need a T-bone steak (and you payed for it).

I am however fascinated by the Watch Ultra. But without proper training analytics like Garmin (Yes Apple, Garmin is the benchmark here!) and connection capabilities it is not more than a very expensive toy I would not go for. Even the dive app without air integration doesnt buy me.

Reactions: mxxii and jole

Mo 1959

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2019
Not the Fenix but the similar Epic Gen 2 here. As much as I love my Apple gear and have iMac, MacBook, iPad, iPhone and got an Apple Watch 7 around 6 months ago, I'm afraid as much as I enjoy some aspects of the Apple Watch, it is still no real comparison for serious sports use. The amount of information generated by the Garmin and the huge battery life just leave the Apple Watch way behind. Even using the GPS every day on the Garmin I can easily get a week or slightly more before charging. I wear both at the same time. :)

cloudpusher

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2022
Very good points.

For me battery is a non issue. I always have a battery pack on trips for the phone and can easily charge the watch for a week as well without electricity.

The coaching feature I am missing a lot in Apple products. That's also missing in Apple Fitness+. There could be much more hints given based on recent performance on what to work on next and how to work on it.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
They're different products, aimed at different markets. One excels at one thing, the other excels at different things. The only similarities between them are that they live on your wrist and can tell you the time.

They're chalk and cheese.

Reactions: schlupps

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2018
I think if you go on multi day adventures then the Garmin is the one to get otherwise the Ultra has hit the sweet spot for most people for battery life and features.

I had an Instinct for a while but always ended up with low battery at an inconvenient time as the battery lasted long enough that I got out of the habit of charging regularly.

The gaping hole for the AW for me (and has been ever since my AW3) is the lack of firstbeat type software. I’m sure they are working on their version as we speak and in typical Apple style will take ages rolling it out but it will eventually eclipse all the other competitors. Releasing the Iltra is their fist step in this direction.

I don’t hike but have downloaded maps on WOD for a couple of day excursions in a foreign land and it was great! (I am not a serious multi day hiker though).

Reactions: jole and PaladinGuy

jole

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2004
USA
They're different products, aimed at different markets.

They compete mostly on the same buyers, thus the market is the same.

There could be some categories of buyers who absolutely need one or the other, but those are probably minority. In most (all?) cases, the feature gap is not something that would block from using one of the products. Some examples:
  • People using AW as house/car key (not possible with Garmin). But is this a must have feature that blocks them from buying Garmin - or could the work around it by carrying a phone or a key with them?
  • People ANT+ based bike power sensors (not supported by AW). But is this a must have feature that blocks them from buying AW - or could the work around it by using a separate bike computer or switching to BLE connected pedals?

Last edited:

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
  • People using AW as house/car key (not possible with Garmin). But is this a must have feature that blocks them from buying Garmin - or could the work around it by carrying a phone or a key with them?
I knew I was forgetting another reason I won't go back to Garmin - My AW can open the doors and start the ignition on my car. No need for keys or fobs anymore...

Reactions: AlexMac89

enricoclaudio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2017
I love Garmin and Apple Watch. My three weekly workout routines are:

Monday - Wednesday - Friday: Weight Lifting with Apple Watch + Strong Lifts app on my iPad Air 5
Tuesday: Running 9 miles with Apple Watch
Thursday - Saturday: 25 miles MTB Biking with Garmin Edge 1040 + Apple Watch.
Sunday: 7 miles run or 14 miles night road biking.

Nome of my weekly activities requiere more than 6 hours battery life so Apple Watch Ultra + Garmin Edge 1040 is the way to go for me. For those hiking for several days, the Garmin Fenix should be the way to go, period!!

jole

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2004
USA
For those hiking for several days, the Garmin Fenix should be the way to go, period!!

Years ago when I was hiking with Apple Watch, I charged the phone and watch every night from a power bank. Might not be too much of a hassle to do that (every other night) with Apple Watch Ultra.

jole

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2004
USA
Looks like Athlytic App might bring the missing fitness metrics to Apple Watch - bridging the gap to Garmin as a fitness watch.

Anyone here tried it?

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Looks like Athlytic App might bring the missing fitness metrics to Apple Watch - bridging the gap to Garmin as a fitness watch.

Anyone here tried it?

Extensively. I did a detailed review of it on my blog, if you want to know more about it. Granted, Gary has added a few other features recently that weren’t present at that time.

DontGetTheCheese

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2015
Extensively. I did a detailed review of it on my blog, if you want to know more about it. Granted, Gary has added a few other features recently that weren’t present at that time.
I’m not a huge fan of it. I paid for a month or two and it just didn’t domit for me. However, 5krunner, pointed out that HRV will be calculated more times at night which may help solve my concern.

I’m not 100% on the Garmin metrics, too often this stuff doesn’t really matter or isn’t that accurate but it’s better than what Apple has offered.

I have an Ultra on order so I’ll see in a week how I feel about it. Wish I’d gotten a different band but done I’d done.

jole

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2004
USA
I’m not a huge fan of it. I paid for a month or two and it just didn’t domit for me. However, 5krunner, pointed out that HRV will be calculated more times at night which may help solve my concern.

I’m not 100% on the Garmin metrics, too often this stuff doesn’t really matter or isn’t that accurate but it’s better than what Apple has offered.

I have an Ultra on order so I’ll see in a week how I feel about it. Wish I’d gotten a different band but done I’d done.
Any other problems apart from the Apple's super-limited HRV sampling (that should be soon fixed)?

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
Wrote a followup post about the offline map situation now that I can compare Ultra vs Fenix hands on.
Dude, what an excellent review. You hit on all important points. I have asked WorkOutDoors developer if he can enable downloads of entire continent and he said it would be too expensive. I went to Mapbox API pricing and it doesn’t seem that much. If he included subscription model or maybe pay per download it could be done. So, maybe in-app purchase of entire NA or Europe could be let’s say $10 one time. I think with around 22gb available on AW it could fit a continent or two. Garmin NA takes around 9GB on Fénix. I think Apple will eventually include offline topo maps but how many years from now that’s the question. Maybe I should start working on a new app I just don’t want to spend months developing it and then Apple announced it next June.

jole

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2004
USA
Dude, what an excellent review. You hit on all important points. I have asked WorkOutDoors developer if he can enable downloads of entire continent and he said it would be too expensive. I went to Mapbox API pricing and it doesn’t seem that much. If he included subscription model or maybe pay per download it could be done. So, maybe in-app purchase of entire NA or Europe could be let’s say $10 one time. I think with around 22gb available on AW it could fit a continent or two. Garmin NA takes around 9GB on Fénix. I think Apple will eventually include offline topo maps but how many years from now that’s the question. Maybe I should start working on a new app I just don’t want to spend months developing it and then Apple announced it next June.

Thank you for the kind words :)

I agree with you: WOD should charge for large maps and making it possible to install a continent or a state/country at time.

Reactions: akidokraja
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.