Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JimmyDThing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Hey everybody. I'm new-ish in these forums and brand new to this one. It seemed intelligent to me to see if any of the intelligent people on here could shed some light for me.

My girlfriend needs a new digital camera... she has mentioned wanting a smaller one that will fit well in her purse, and I think an ultra-slim would be best for her after watching her pick her cell phone based solely on how thin it was.

Anyway... can anyone suggest to me a good ultra-slim digital camera? I'm thinking 6 megapixels or higher. I've done a little bit of research and I think motion stabilizer would make a lot of sense, but I don't know enough about camera's to know what's good or not.... I've been relying on professional reviews. I'd like to be in the $2-300 range, but I'm flexible.

Thanks!

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Try looking at the Sony T series. I think the newest ones are the T-200's or the t-70. I have a T-9 (just over a year old), and it's a nice little camera, when I'm not willing to drag my entire SLR rig. I wouldn't worry about image stabilization at the focal length that these cameras extend to. Most of them are 3X zooms, which is below an equivalent 200mm.

Another thing that you might not hear from the marketing departments of camera makers, is that for an ultra-compact, you probably don't want more pixels. Given the size of the sensor, the largest MP count I would want in a camera is about 6. Image quality would actually be better than an 8MP camera, due to noise, and you really wouldn't notice a difference... unless you want to print a 20" poster.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I have always been partial to Canon for point & shoot cameras, and a couple of years ago I picked up an SD450 as a take-along camera for bicycle rides. Since the camera had to comfortably fit in my jersey pocket, size was the primary consideration. Generally speaking, it does a nice job, and it's beautifully made and exquisitely small.

The only thing I would change about it is to opt for a camera with image stabilization. It is difficult to hold a camera this size steady, and since you are using the LCD to frame the image because the optical viewfinder is so small it is virtually useless, you do not really have anything to steady the camera against when taking a shot. IS is not a feature I covet much in my big Nikon DSLR stuff, but it I think it would be hugely useful in a subcompact camera. I think some of the Canon Elph/SD line of cameras has this feature now.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
I'm a big fan of Olympus compact cameras:-

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/29_191.htm

They are stylish, small and easy to use. A number of my female friends have one and are very happy with them. Sorry, I'm in the UK so not sure of the US prices.

I also thought of the Sony range, which Lovesong has already mentioned. They are super slim!

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
I just got the Canon SD870 IS. Small thin camera, 8MP, Image Stabilizer, Wide Angle lens, and it takes great pics. I just came out. Lists for $399, but you can find it in the $325 range.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm sorry, but anyone who's primary concern about a digital camera is it's thinness
can not be serious about photography!

Buy her an iPhone.....

Perhaps it isn't the OP's girlfriend's primary concern, but rather she just wants to be able to take some nice pictures with a relatively small camera that can be carried anywhere.

Besides, many modern compacts are very flexible and capable of taking some excellent shots.

David

RoadieJodie

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
I'm suprised no one has mentoined the Canon SD1000.
It has nearly the same features as the SD750, but is considerably cheaper and quite a bit smaller.
It does not have manual aperture and shutter-speed controls, but for a P&S it is an excellent camera and can be found for under $200.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I'm suprised no one has mentoined the Canon SD1000.
It has nearly the same features as the SD750, but is considerably cheaper and quite a bit smaller.
It does not have manual aperture and shutter-speed controls, but for a P&S it is an excellent camera and can be found for under $200.

Does the SD1000 have a macro mode? That is one of the most important features to me.

RoadieJodie

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
Per Canon's site:

Shooting Modes
Auto, Camera M, Portrait, Special Scene (Foliage, Snow, Beach, Fireworks, Aquarium, Underwater, Indoor, Kids & Pets), Night Snapshot, Color Accent, Color Swap, Digital Macro, Stitch Assist, Movie

Link: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...ategoryid=145&modelid=14901#ModelTechSpecsAct

Though I would prefer Optical Macro, we are talking about a P&S.

Example of a macro shot from said SD1000:

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/picture.asp?f=9894

(I hope hotlinking, in this case is acceptable)

JimmyDThing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
I'm sorry, but anyone who's primary concern about a digital camera is it's thinness
can not be serious about photography!

Buy her an iPhone.....

If you read my original post, the thread post, you would see that I admit to not being a photographer :). I just figured if I was going to look at cameras, I might as well find one that photographers recommend. Those who are "serious about photography" are not the only ones who own cameras :)

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
If you read my original post, the thread post, you would see that I admit to not being a photographer :). I just figured if I was going to look at cameras, I might as well find one that photographers recommend. Those who are "serious about photography" are not the only ones who own cameras :)

I recommend the Canon Powershot G9. I own one, it is small, takes excellent pictures, video and can shoot RAW files.

CMD is me

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2006
Another vote for Canon. Take a card to the store and try several. Go home and see how the shots turn out.

obibobi

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2007
Sweden
I'm also interested in a small P&S but I need one with a good flash.
The previous compact cameras I owned all had a practical range of maybe 2,5 meters (8 feet).
Do you have any recommendations/warnings about built-in flashes ?
Are there any compacts with shoes for external flashes ?

seniorstinky

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'm also interested in a small P&S but I need one with a good flash.
The previous compact cameras I owned all had a practical range of maybe 2,5 meters (8 feet).
Do you have any recommendations/warnings about built-in flashes ?
Are there any compacts with shoes for external flashes ?

I avoid built in flash if at all possible.

Take a look at this little device as perhaps some help for you. It's triggered by your onboard flash. It doesn't cost a lot and I've used some of these in the past for close up work. There are better ones (read more money) that will give you better distance.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/515457-REG/Bower_SFDS_SFDS_Compact_Digital_Slave.html

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
I recommend the Canon Powershot G9. I own one, it is small, takes excellent pictures, video and can shoot RAW files.

Although the Canon Powershot G9 is a great camera, I would not consider it Ultra-Slim. It is also one of the the heaviest cameras I tried when I was doing my camera search a few weeks ago, and I tested them all.

I still stand by my recommendation of the Canon SD870 IS. Prices now are below $300.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/canon_sd870.html

Bob

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
Although the Canon Powershot G9 is a great camera, I would not consider it Ultra-Slim. It is also one of the the heaviest cameras I tried when I was doing my camera search a few weeks ago, and I tested them all.

I still stand by my recommendation of the Canon SD870 IS. Prices now are below $300.

Bob

It is a camera, not a fashion accessory. My main camera is a Canon EOS 1Ds, so to me the G9 is ultra slim!
:cool:

JimmyDThing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
It is a camera, not a fashion accessory. My main camera is a Canon EOS 1Ds, so to me the G9 is ultra slim!
:cool:

Jerry... do you pride yourself on being useless on the basis of trying to sound better than everyone? For the last time, this thread is not about a photographer in the market for a new awesome camera. It is for a girl who takes pictures of her friends on a regular basis where a slim design that allows for it to easily fit in a small purse is most efficient.

We all know that you're a photographer, we're glad for you, but if you're not going to stick to the topic of the thread, then don't bother posting.

Edit: Thank you to everyone else who have been most informative and helpful. And I apologize for creating a thread that is not very specific to the forums description.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
I'm a big fan of Olympus compact cameras:-

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/29_191.htm...
I just got the 790 featured top left in that link. Great camera as far as small point and shoot goes. Pretty good for the non-photographer like me, easy to use and some decent features, much better than any Kodak I tried. The killer feature for me was how robust it is, I'm a clumsy idiot, so being able to drop it , throw it about and take it to the beach and get it sandy/wet is great :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.