Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Original poster
I came across this camera the other day, is it too good to be true?

Ricoh Caplio R4

-Optical 7.1x Zoom (28mm-200mm)
-CCD Shift Correction (IS)
-6 Megapixel CCD
-Long Lasting Battery (330 Photos)
-2.5-inch LCD Monitor (153,000 Pixels)
-1 cm Macro
-Skew Correction Function

This is similar to my Lumix FX-9 which I love, except the over twice as much zoom. So, is it too good to be true?

-OA

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Well probably, but there are cameras that have similar specs, while maybe not the same form factor.

Lens designs over 3x are usually full of compromises.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Original poster
A bit of a coincidence, but Kodak officially release their 10x optical zoom compact today as well, the V610.

Kodak V610

I must say I'm quite impressed with the specs, and the previous V570 didn't have that many image quality issues either. I'm just disappointed that it loses the wide lens that the previous V570 had (23 mm)

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Over Achiever said:
A bit of a coincidence, but Kodak officially release their 10x optical zoom compact today as well, the V610.

Kodak V610

I must say I'm quite impressed with the specs, and the previous V570 didn't have that many image quality issues either. I'm just disappointed that it loses the wide lens that the previous V570 had (23 mm)
Wow that looks sweet. And I'm usually not interested in it if it isn't a dslr.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
At least here in the US, Ricoh does not have a distribution group.

Though not as small, the Canon S2IS, and maybe the S3IS when released, has won much praise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.