Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I've recently noticed that my music library is a significant percentage of my used storage space on my Mac. And even though I have plenty of storage space available right now, that may not be the situation when I upgrade to a new Mac -- SSDs are still on the expensive side.

Some of my music library is ripped from CDs -- I don't think I can do anything about those -- but have also acquired albums from the iTunes Store in recent years that Apple now allows to stream on-demand. Pair that with a habit of using my iPhone as a primary music player, I don't need all purchases to be available offline on my Mac.

So....

Is there a (hopefully, easy) method to remove the song files from my Mac but still have the music present and fully playable in iTunes? In other words, undo the download for offline listening action and have them stream again.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. If anyone is aware of another way to clean up and reduce the storage size of an iTunes music library, I'm open to it.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Why don't you place your iTunes Media folder on an external disk.
Just move it and change the place in Settings.

It's absolutely the best way for me anyway. Have had it like that for ages.

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
Instead of buying an Apple TV, I have a Mac mini that plays music in the morning, and movies at night.
I have only 900 albums on the mini and external HD which saved my ears many times while downgrading these newer OSXs that needed erasing the mini disc. I add delete albums from the MacBook Air and iPod frequently from external HD’s

As for iTunes, just hide the songs on your computer to save space, but save these songs externally Incase Apple decides to delete songs down the road, which that can do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.