Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zawacchi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2024
Hi all,

I just purchased an RX 5700 XT as an upgrade for my 5,1 which was previously running with an RX 580. I removed the post-install patches using OpenCore Patcher before replacing the GPU, but upon boot, it seems to hang every time around the 35% mark and refuses to boot into the OS no matter how long I wait.

I am still able to boot into the OS with the 580 back in place however. Judging from the boot sequence, the Mac with the 5700 XT installed seems to be freezing/hanging right around where the screen would normally flash to black and shortly after would show the login screen with the 580 installed.

I've tried reinstalling macOS from both the recovery partition & onto a completely new drive using the OpenCore USB installer, but nothing seems to help. It always freezes on the boot screen at exactly the same position. I was under the impression that the 5700 XT is compatible with the 5,1 using OpenCore on 10.15.1+, and I've seen many instances of others being able to use the card without issue.

The GPU is a reference card running with a mini 6-pin to 6-pin + mini 6-pin to 8-pin (which does appear to be sufficient power for others I've seen online) and it doesn't seem to be a power issue, since the Mac does not shut down and I am able to see the boot screen with the Apple logo. Any idea what might be causing this, and how to fix it?

Thank you in advance!

Borowski

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2018
RX5700XT (=Navi 10) is still incompatible from Ventura up in Mac Pro 5.1.

Run the MP with Monterey or change the card back to RX580 (=Polaris).

• Love
Reactions: Zawacchi

Zawacchi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2024
Thank you for your reply!

I'd completely missed the fact that Ventura had dropped support for AVX2 (hence my issue, as GPU drivers in Ventura+ require AVX2 without supported patches) and it seems I'd been using the wrong search queries to find the right threads which mentioned this. I did a bit of research following your reply and it does indeed seem that the OpenCore team themselves had mentioned this on this page for Ventura (I hadn't thought to review pages for previous releases) and also on this GitHub page (me being a completed cave-brained dingus, I completely missed that Navi was unsupported).

For anyone interested, it seems this was also brought up in numerous threads previously (again, completely my error for not finding them on my own) like these:

Thanks again @Borowski for clearing this up for me, it'd been driving me nuts for the past couple of days. Just goes to show that fully researching topics before purchasing really is the right way to go. Hope at least someone can learn from my mistake, and that the OCLP team can find a way to patch the RX 5000 series cards in the future!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.