Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Hello,

So I have an issue, and I don't know how to fix it.

I have two Mac's running the same version of OS, OSX 14.6.1. I have three Synology NAS's (SN) on my LAN, all running the same DSM. I can connect to all three SN's from Mac "A", however I can only connect to all three from Mac "B" if I am on Wifi. If I turn WiFi off, I remain connected via Mac "B", however when I click on the SMB share under finder, I get the little "connecting to..." that just goes back and forth.

If I turn Wifi back on, on Mac "B", I get the same thing, "connecting to..." that just keeps going back and forth.

If I run these commands, and reboot, I can once again connect to my SN's via Wifi, but as soon as turn off my Wifi on Mac "B", I can no look at or access them via finder, but I still have access to them on my desktop since they have already been mounted.

Code:
sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.network.identification.plist
sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

Mac "A", no issues whats so ever, Wifi, Ethernet, doesn't matter, if I turn them off, back on, I have access no matter what. Looked under File Sharing on both Mac's... same.

I have tried "Command K" to try and force a new username and password, doesn't work

On my router, I have the following:

Mac "A" - Static
Mac "B" - Static

No firewall setup on either Mac
No firewall setup on router

SMB 3 and SMB 2 are setup on the NAS...

I have engaged Synology, but they are scratching their heads... so now I am turning here.

Oh and under the Synology logs, it shows that there is a connection to both Mac "A" and "B"... This was confirmed from Synology.

I am stumped, that it would allow via WIFI and not eithernet. Anyone have any ideas on how to tackle this?

Oh and I have done the terminal command to take down en1 and bring it back up... didn't work.

One last thing,,, this all started when I lost my internet connection (Frontier FIOS went down). So I don't know if this a DNS thing that is messing with Mac "B" only. Every other device on my network has worked like it should work.

Last edited:
Reactions: splifingate

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
this all started when I lost my internet connection (Frontier FIOS went down)

I have one DS920+ connected via LAG to a Ubiquity US-8-60W, which connects to an EdgeRouter-4 (which I use in place of the ATT-supplied RG).

I used to run piHole on a pi-4b, but I've since moved that to ProxMox on a N305 mini server.

All has been working (knock on aluminum) well. I have not changed anything

I can access the 920+ via ether and wifi (two Ubiquity NanoHD's) with anything in the house.

When things don't work, it has usually come-down to DNS issue, or some sort of Keychain confusion.

I'm currently getting ready to trip to a wedding in the next state, so no time for more diag. right now.

I will re-visit later on Sunday/Monday, time permitting, as this is a really interesting dilemma :)

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
You mention rebooting your Mac. Did you also restart your Synology NAS units?

How about anything between them and your Mac such as any switches?

Restarted the router too?

You might want to power everything down... maybe even temporarily unplug everything (Synology, any switches, router, Macs) for at least a few minutes. Then bring them all back up again starting with router- let it get fully back online and connected, then switch (give it a few minutes), then each NAS (again, give them time to get fully online), then Macs.

Don't shortcut this if all are plugged into a battery by simply powering down the battery, then pushing the on button to power everything up together. Bring them back on in order, letting each have some time to get connected before you roll on to the next thing.

Due to other Mac issues (too), I strongly suspect there are bugs in port management software of all Macs (since Big Sur). I suspect that these bugs occasionally crash the ports and then restart them. If this guess is true, a crash of an ethernet port that then restarts may have it not restart properly & perfectly for its relationship with the NAS. Whether this hypothesis has any merit at all, the above suggestion of cold start ALL should basically clear out any possible culprits and maybe get you going again.

If this does fix it and you don't have much of the above on battery backups, you might want to buy a good battery+ and get them backed up. Little power blinks can cause such things to happen too. All can seem perfectly fine and even work for some things... but not for something else.

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
So, I have spent the last hour or so rebuilding my entire network. Ended up burning it all down, and resetting everything. So far, I am able to connect to everything and anything via wifi and/or hard wired.

Knock on wood, this seems to have done the trick. The loss of internet really messed some items up, when it came back up, so resetting everything was the last thing I wanted to do, but having spent the better part of day trying to figure this out... I know for next time!!!

phillyman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
glad you got it to work. I'm sorry it became such a big project. I've had Synology for 15 years now. One of the best purchases I've made. I'm on my third one. No real hiccups. I did encounter your issues from time to time. But I was usually OK with powering everything down and letting it sit for a couple minutes. Like Darryl mentioned that sometimes is enough.

Philly

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
glad you got it to work. I'm sorry it became such a big project. I've had Synology for 15 years now. One of the best purchases I've made. I'm on my third one. No real hiccups. I did encounter your issues from time to time. But I was usually OK with powering everything down and letting it sit for a couple minutes. Like Darryl mentioned that sometimes is enough.

Philly

I am a big fan of Synology... I don't think this was so much a Synology issue or Apple Issue at this point, I think with my internet going out and having it come back up and go back down and up again... caused some issues with the routing and other network issues. I should have bit the bullet and done it sooner, which would have taken me a heck of lot less time!!!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Do you have any idea what change was made to get it all working?

On my side, I pretty much released all of my static connections, brought down all of my NAS boxes, computers, and routers. Reset my main router from my ISP (red button reset). Brought the ISP router back up, and then brought up each computer one at a time. For my wifi, I have a second set of routers and access points that run off the main ISP router, I have the ISP wifi disabled, and re-disabled it when I brought it back up. I pretty much brought each computer and NAS box up one at a time, and then went through and did all my port forwarding and static IP reserves. One at a time.

Hope that helps... I tried over a few hours and a couple of days going back and forth with tech support, both from my ISP and Synology. Ended up nuking all my network stuff and starting over from scratch.

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Ended up nuking all my network stuff and starting over from scratch.

Yeah; that sounds familiar, to me.

Boggles my mind how I can finally find Zen in my network . . . then, there's that one, little thing that inevitably becomes the popcorn husk wedged in my gums.

Glad you got it sorted.

Reactions: rhett7660

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Yeah; that sounds familiar, to me.

Boggles my mind how I can finally find Zen in my network . . . then, there's that one, little thing that inevitably becomes the popcorn husk wedged in my gums.

Glad you got it sorted.

It was running soooooo smooth to boot! And isn't that the truth!!! One little irritation in the gums and it is all over. HA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.