Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tailgunner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2013
Hello fellow Mac users,

I have a problem that I hope you folks can help me with or at least point me in the right direction.

I'm sure this has come up a lot with mac users as I have done a lot of searching for answers. The problem is, non of the suggested solutions I have found have been viable solutions to my particular situation.

Anyhow, the story starts off the same, I've been sent compressed files (from multiple different senders) and I'm unable to open them. I'm not sure if these files are password protected, non of the senders included or made mention of passwords nor does any of the following methods altered me to such. This is what I've tried thus far to no avail:

Apps
  1. Archive Utility
  2. Decompressor
  3. Dr Archiver
  4. iZip 4.0
  5. iZip 3.0
  6. Stuffit Expander 15.0
  7. Stuffit Expander 16.0
  8. UnRaR Archiver
  9. Win Zip Mac 5

Terminal

I've also tried unzipping file using the Terminal. The ned result was "permission denied" or something to the effect.

Machine:

Macbook Pro 15.4'
Sierra 10.12.6
2.8 GHZ i7

Thank you for your time...and patients.

TG

cebritt

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
Austin, TX
Quick solution, copy the file to a USB drive and try opening it on a Windows PC. Or take it to the Genius Bar at an Apple store. The apps you listed should open a ZIP file.

Hello fellow Mac users,

I have a problem that I hope you folks can help me with or at least point me in the right direction.

I'm sure this has come up a lot with mac users as I have done a lot of searching for answers. The problem is, non of the suggested solutions I have found have been viable solutions to my particular situation.

Anyhow, the story starts off the same, I've been sent compressed files (from multiple different senders) and I'm unable to open them. I'm not sure if these files are password protected, non of the senders included or made mention of passwords nor does any of the following methods altered me to such. This is what I've tried thus far to no avail:

Apps
  1. Archive Utility
  2. Decompressor
  3. Dr Archiver
  4. iZip 4.0
  5. iZip 3.0
  6. Stuffit Expander 15.0
  7. Stuffit Expander 16.0
  8. UnRaR Archiver
  9. Win Zip Mac 5

Terminal

I've also tried unzipping file using the Terminal. The ned result was "permission denied" or something to the effect.

Machine:

Macbook Pro 15.4'
Sierra 10.12.6
2.8 GHZ i7

Thank you for your time...and patience.

TG

Tailgunner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2013
Quick solution, copy the file to a USB drive and try opening it on a Windows PC. Or take it to the Genius Bar at an Apple store. The apps you listed should open a ZIP file.

The PC didn't work either but great idea.

Anyhow, I figured out the problem, it's me lol. It's an Adobe After Effects file....and I don't have Ae installed of any of my machines. So I downloaded a free trial version and everything works.

Thanks for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.