Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blockmon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2022
What I know the latest 9th gen iPad should support Dolby vision based on this

Video Playback
  • Supported formats include HEVC and H.264
  • Supports Dolby Vision and HDR10 content
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP849?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

However I can't get e.g. any demolandia test files to work. I tried VLC and infuse but only sound is played no video. Those files plays gone on my iPhone Xs.

Is it so that the entry level iPad just doesn't support Dolby vision? Has anyone got Dolby vision files working?

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I do see what you’re talking about but that iPad doesn’t have an HDR display so it doesn’t even matter if you can or can’t play it honestly as it won’t look any better.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
What I know the latest 9th gen iPad should support Dolby vision based on this

Video Playback
  • Supported formats include HEVC and H.264
  • Supports Dolby Vision and HDR10 content
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP849?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

However I can't get e.g. any demolandia test files to work. I tried VLC and infuse but only sound is played no video. Those files plays gone on my iPhone Xs.

Is it so that the entry level iPad just doesn't support Dolby vision? Has anyone got Dolby vision files working?

Must be the iPad model as they play on my 2021 12.9 (nPlayer).

blockmon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2022
Dolby Vision plays fine on my iPad 8.
Do you have a working example file? Which player you are using? Are you on the latest iPadOS 15.4.1?
I do see what you’re talking about but that iPad doesn’t have an HDR display so it doesn’t even matter if you can or can’t play it honestly as it won’t look any better.
It matters because I have some videos only in Dolby vision versions and now the iPad being only one not to play those. I'm more interested to just play those files than getting a better picture quality.

Last edited:

blockmon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2022
None of these test files "for iOS" work on my iPad.

Error on safari and infuse plays only Audio. I began to doubt apple dropped Dolby vision support or something is forgotten. Maybe I'll try to ask from Apple.

blockmon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2022
Would be nice if someone else with the 9th gen iPad could confirm that. I wouldn't then spend time to solve this and maybe getting a used 8th gen iPad.

mikiee

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2020
Do you have a working example file? Which player you are using? Are you on the latest iPadOS 15.4.1?

It matters because I have some videos only in Dolby vision versions and now the iPad being only one not to play those. I'm more interested to just play those files than getting a better picture quality.
Dolby Vision plays fine on my iPad 8.
Correction..........my iPad 8 does not support Dolby Vision. (I opened the wrong video file) Here is a list of supported devices. The list precedes iPad 9, but not much, video-wise, changed between 8 & 9.

blockmon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2022
I tested a Dolby vision video recorded with a iPhone 13 pro. That one plays ok with my iPad. Probably apple made some special handling for those.

In conclusion the base model iPad do not support Dolby vision playback. Misleading information in apple’s tech specs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.