Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCabZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2013
IBIZA
Unable to reset login password on MacBook Air M1 via the Apple ID login option. The credentials are definitely valid and can be used to login to iCloud. Can't see any alternative option to reset the password. Unable to boot ¿?:eek: TIA

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Unable to reset login password on MacBook Air M1 via the Apple ID login option. The credentials are definitely valid and can be used to login to iCloud. Can't see any alternative option to reset the password. Unable to boot ¿?:eek: TIA
If you have FileVault enabled, you can use your Recovery Key to reset your Mac login password.

MCabZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2013
IBIZA
Erase the Mac via Recovery, and reinstall macOS
Unable to because lost the password, which is why I am trying to find out how to create a new password. Anything I try to do requests a password. The login screen offers an option to restore password via Apple ID but it's not possible. Despite the fact that the Apple ID and (Apple ID) password is correct.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Try booting into macOS Recovery, open Terminal and type "resetpassword" before pressing Enter. That should let you reset the password for your account.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Unable to because lost the password, which is why I am trying to find out how to create a new password. Anything I try to do requests a password. The login screen offers an option to restore password via Apple ID but it's not possible. Despite the fact that the Apple ID and (Apple ID) password is correct.
🧐 Internet Recovery should allow full erase, regardless. What exact model & year is it?

MCabZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2013
IBIZA
Try booting into macOS Recovery, open Terminal and type "resetpassword" before pressing Enter. That should let you reset the password for your account.
Thanks for your reply.
Resetpassword via Terminal in Recovery options was the best "apparent" solution. However, it requires password for ***@icloud.com which is an unknown password for an old Apple ID account. A new valid Apple ID has ***@icloud.com listed in the approved email addresses, however, that Apple ID password is not valid for the MacBook I am trying to reset the password on (lost password issue). The MacBook Pro Air 2020 is not a listed Device on the new iCloud that has ***@icloud.com listed. The problem seems that the MacBook has to connect to the old iCloud account in order to be listed. Unable to do so because that is the password I am trying to reset. Catch 22 dilemma.

1. unable to reset password
  2. unable to restore password
  3. unable to reinstall MacOS (either from an external bootable drive or via Recovery options)
  4. unable to view data from an External HDD with MacOS installed
If it is not possible to recover the data on the MacBook, I would like to know if it is possible to reinstall Big Sur (current MacOS) as a new install without requiring a password previous to the installation. Had no problem doing this on an Intel Mac but the M series are a real PIA.

MacBook Pro Air 2020
"M1" 8 CPU/8 GPU 13"
OSX Big Sur
Model: A2338

.... seems to be bricked :eek:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.