Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmorsberger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016

Unable to send iMessage in IOS 17 and IOS 18, receive ok​

At some point in IOS 17.6 I was no longer able to send iMessages on my iPhone 13 Pro Max. The iMessage send will always fail. Sometimes it will automatically switch to SMS, sometimes I have to manually send SMS (click ! to sent to SMS). The return messages from the other end would come back as iMessage. I know what based on the “Text Message - SMS” and the “iMessage” labels above the message.

I have AT&T Wireless if that matters and home WiFi

The interesting part is I can send iMessages without issue on my iPad and iMac. I do have both linked to my iPhone.

I did the following things (in not necessarily this order) all with the same behavior
  • I updated to IOS 17.7
  • I turned off and turned iMessage on multiple times
  • I restarted multiple times
  • I turned off cellular and cellular data multiple times on IOS 17 through Control Panel and Settings
  • I did a complete reset and restored from backup
  • I did a “NFU restore” to IOS 18 (thought it may be hacked) without restoring from backup
  • I turned off cellular and cellular data multiple times on IOS 18 through Control Panel and Settings. For some reason it still sent a SMS message
  • I am sure there are a few other things I tried

In summary,
  • I cannot send iMessages from my iPhone 13 Pro Max using IOS 17 and IOS 18
  • I can receive iMessages on both IOS 17 and IOS 18

Any idea what might be going on?

• Wow
Reactions: twanj

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Yeah sounds like "Throttled" to me. Just be sure you're only sending to people who ACTUALLY expect to hear from you. Of course sometimes Spam reports can even be accidental but rarely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.