Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dank_Tank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2016
I have an older model MacBook and the software needs to be updated (Currently 10.7). However, when I go to check for update, nothing is available. I try to get MacOS Sierra but it won't load. I don't really know what i'm doing but I could use some help :)

Dank_Tank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2016
We need to know what Mac model and year you have to see if it supports Sierra.

Here is a list of Macs that support Sierra:
https://support.apple.com/kb/sp742?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

i can go to the apple logo and pull up the about this mac info but it only shows macbook pro 15" glossy. it doesn't say a year. LION is loaded... i am very new to mac and don't know much about them yet. it shows no updates available. I have no problem paying to update software but want to make sure it will work before i spend money just to throw it away. other than the about this mac option is there somewhere else i can find out what year is was produced? or is there an update that the year doesn't matter?
[doublepost=1483109974][/doublepost]Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1

Processor Name: Intel Core Duo

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 2 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP11.0055.B08

SMC Version (system): 1.2f10

Serial Number (system): W86177J7VWW

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016CB8DAF15

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
i can go to the apple logo and pull up the about this mac info but it only shows macbook pro 15" glossy. it doesn't say a year. LION is loaded... i am very new to mac and don't know much about them yet. it shows no updates available. I have no problem paying to update software but want to make sure it will work before i spend money just to throw it away. other than the about this mac option is there somewhere else i can find out what year is was produced? or is there an update that the year doesn't matter?
[doublepost=1483109974][/doublepost]Model Name: MacBook Pro

This computer won't even run 10.7, so you must be on something no later than 10.6.8. You won't be able to use any recent version of Mac OS with it.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA

Model Name: MacBook Pro
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
I think you have a MacBook Pro (15-inch Glossy) distributed May 2006 - October 2006
It supports Max OS of 10.6.8 Snow Leopard (Lion is 10.7, so it should not be supported)

Your MacBook Pro is to old to be updated (including support for Sierra (10.12)).

Here is a link with details on your Mac:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook_pro_2.0.html

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

"Where you're at" is "where you'll be" with that one, forever more.

If you want "newer software", you'll need a newer Mac...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.