Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
So I've already spoken to Apple Support and I'm getting a replacement, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue. I have a JB ip7+ 128GB AT&T.

The phone had been fine for the past week, and I had not heard the humming sound others have described.
Suddenly today, with light usage (took out to use it maybe 4-5 times, each only for 1-2 minutes) and indoors, in air conditioning, on Wi-Fi, my phone became incredibly hot to the touch and I can now hear the humming others have described. I would compare it with touching a leather car seat after it had sat in the sun all day.

On top of that, I am having severe slow-down in all apps including things like Mail. Also, when I try to do an iCloud backup now, I am getting the error "iCloud backup could not be completed" (I was going to try wiping it)...

Anyway, I should have the replacement by Tuesday - just trying to figure out how to live with this thing over the weekend other than just turning it off. I'm going to try a tethered backup to iTunes and then a complete restore.

Note: I have no ulterior motives for getting this phone replaced - it's really very hot, I promise. ;-)
Also: Apple Support was extremely helpful - quickly escalated my issue, and are going to have their tech team pull my phone to examine when it arrives back to them.

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
Just curious -- is there anything showing in battery usage that seems to be excessively running in the background?

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
Nothing really out of the ordinary under battery usage. Safari, mail, and Facebook are all I've been using the past day or two. Interesting, thank you for linking those other threads...
[doublepost=1475282112][/doublepost]Only other thing I can think of is I've been using a leather Dockem sleeve case,... but I can't imagine that it would cause overheating that severe. I may actually have to hold off on using my phone until the replacement arrives - my hands are actually still sore 15 min after handling it.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
My AT&T jet black also runs fairly hot with very little usage. It also does the hissing. So soon I'm going to Apple to exchange it, hopefully by then the kinks will have been worked out.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
Just to update, I called Friday and as of late Friday night I already had tracking info for the replacement. Sent FedEx Overnight, coming from Memphis, TN (I'm in the SE USA) and due to arrive Monday.

Reactions: got556

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Mine gets quite hot sometimes. Have you tried resetting to factory settings?

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I think iOS 10 sometimes fails to stop a process when its associated app closes. My iPhone 7 was quite warm and the battery lost a lot of charge in a short time period. The culprit seems to have been the YouTube app not letting go of the audio process after closing the app.

I saw this same behavior on my iPhone 6 running iOS 10, except that time it was the Siri audio process.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
The good thing is, after the Note 7 fiasco, Apple won't be giving your any grief and should replace your phone in a jiffy, whatever the prob maybe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.