Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunshine221

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2015
Hey all,

I wanted to ask if anyone could help out with a problem I'm having.

I've been working on this 2008 Macbook for a friend who needs a laptop but can't afford a new one.

I installed High Sierra with the patcher. I really wanted to undervolt it to increase battery life and to reduce heat. And boy, is there plenty of heat coming off this legacy macbook!

I thought the program Coolbook would help but it doesn't work on High Sierra. I know some have used it on Sierra but I haven't seen any workaround for High Sierra. I don't want to roll back MacOS since I want to give my friend the perks of the new OS like native photos tweaking options.

Looked at Volta but it looks like it only supports the i5/i7 chips.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Is it MacBook5,1? I assume so.

If it was the 2008 MacBook4,1 then I’d say put in new thermal paste, but you can’t put High Sierra on MacBook4,1. You could also put new thermal paste in the 2008 MacBook5,1 but it’s harder to do that with MacBook5,1.

In the very least you could clean out the fan though.

I don’t have this problem with my 2.0 GHz MacBook5,1 though.

sunshine221

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2015
Is it MacBook5,1? I assume so.

If it was the 2008 MacBook4,1 then I’d say put in new thermal paste, but you can’t put High Sierra on MacBook4,1. You could also put new thermal paste in the 2008 MacBook5,1 but it’s harder to do that with MacBook5,1.

In the very least you could clean out the fan though.

I don’t have this problem with my 2.0 GHz MacBook5,1 though.

Yeah it's a Macbook5,1 the first unibody. Still pretty amazing piece of industrial design!

I'm planning on reapplying the thermal paste once I get the extra ram and hard drive caddy to replace the optical drive.

I'm just trying to squeeze as much performance out of this but I still haven't found a solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.