Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woodlandjustin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Today suddenly an app called 'Avast' turned itself on. I did not voluntarily install it - it appears to have made its way onto my system somehow mysteriously last month, from the date I could see of when it was created on my system.

It had an uninstall function but that asked me for my password, and since I do not trust it and it abused me by installing itself without my knowledge, I did not want to give it my password. I also read on the net that the install function on it may not uninstall it completely - someone else apparently had a similar issue. Perhaps it is some illegal malware?

So I used the app 'AppCleaner' to try to uninstall it. However, after doing that, I could still see that it was running things, by using Activity Monitor. This made more distrust it even more. There were various processes running under the name 'Avast'.

So I tried using EasyFind to delete all files with Avast in the name. But, that did not let me! 'Move to trash' does nothing, and even 'Destroy' does nothing! So, since Finder cannot find any files named 'avast', I located them using EasyFind, and made it show one file in Finder - 'Avast', in Library/StagedExtensions/Applications. Then, I dragged that onto AppCleaner, to try to delete it like that. But AppCleaner said shows it with a padlock symbol, and doesn't let me delete it!

Here's a pic of the results from EasyFind, searching 'avant':
[IMG alt="Name: Screenshot 2020-01-05 at 00.42.10 copy.jpg
Views: 1
Size: 111.8 KB"]https://www.mac-forums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30924&d=1578193398[/IMG]

This makes me think someone put a lot of effort into forcing this onto me. Very abusive!

Googling 'how to delete avast mac' returns this as the top hit:
How to uninstall Avast for good?

This is an advert! Which tries to convince you to download CleanMyMac. Is that another malicious app? It seems to me likely that the whole purpose of this Avant app, aside from whatever malicious thing it may be doing to my system, is also aimed at forcing this other app upon us. I am disgusted.

Can someone advise me how to completely remove this app?

Thank you!

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Avast is an antivirus application - not got the best reputation, but I'd certainly NOT call it malware, either.

You finding instructions from 'Clean my Mac' is more down to Google search placement than anything else. The two are not connected.

I'd suggest next time not taking the first result as the correct one. Companies spend a lot of money for SEO. Guess 'Clean my Mac' paid top dollar for this keyword, hence it's appearence.

Uninstall instructions here: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/67/

As to why it was installed in the first place, well, that's a bloody good question.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbachandouris

Woodlandjustin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Avast is an antivirus application - not got the best reputation, but I'd certainly NOT call it malware, either.

You finding instructions from 'Clean my Mac' is more down to Google search placement than anything else. The two are not connected.

I'd suggest next time not taking the first result as the correct one. Companies spend a lot of money for SEO. Guess 'Clean my Mac' paid top dollar for this keyword, hence it's appearence.

Uninstall instructions here: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/67/

As to why it was installed in the first place, well, that's a bloody good question.

Thanks TiggrToo. So if you are *sure* the uninstall is safe, what can I do now? Since I deleted all I could of it already? Can I somehow uninstall the rest of it - or do I need to reinstall it and then do the official uninstall? I would not want to do that if that will just give even more problems...

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Thanks TiggrToo. So if you are *sure* the uninstall is safe, what can I do now? Since I deleted all I could of it already? Can I somehow uninstall the rest of it - or do I need to reinstall it and then do the official uninstall? I would not want to do that if that will just give even more problems...

As annoying and useless Avast may be, sometimes reinstalling to Uninstaller can be the best way.

The company itself has been targeted by hackers who unsuccessfully attempted to inject Malware into another one of their products, but by and large they're somewhat safe.

That's not to say I trust them as an Anti-virus app either. Just that IMO you correctly identified the best course of action.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.