Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happypeople

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if it is possible to uninstall Java completely from Mac?

I used to have Minecraft on a previous Mac of mine and am looking remove everything that is unnecessary, as its only job now is some file storage and watching movies on my tv.

I found these instructions on the Java website:https://www.java.com/en/download/help/mac_uninstall_java.xml

But I am hesitant to follow them as I am not familiar with terminal commands.

Thank you!

Redirected

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2016
There is no need to be hesitant. You just have to copy and paste those commands and it will do the rest of the work.
I tried the commands and works like a charm everytime.

Let us know how it goes.

happypeople

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
There is no need to be hesitant. You just have to copy and paste those commands and it will do the rest of the work.
I tried the commands and works like a charm everytime.

Let us know how it goes.

I just tried copy and pasting them into my command line in terminal and it did not work. I was asked for my password, typed it in and nothing.

Is there a way to tell if I have uninstalled Java successfully short of installing something that uses it to check?

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If nothing really happened, then you will still have a Java preference pane in your System Preferences.
If the pref pane is now gone, then the commands were successful.

If your Java preference pane still exists, then run the same commands again.
Be sure to press enter after typing in your password. Keep in mind that you won't see your password as you type, and there will be no other response until you press enter, when you should get a text prompt.

happypeople

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
If nothing really happened, then you will still have a Java preference pane in your System Preferences.
If the pref pane is now gone, then the commands were successful.

If your Java preference pane still exists, then run the same commands again.
Be sure to press enter after typing in your password. Keep in mind that you won't see your password as you type, and there will be no other response until you press enter, when you should get a text prompt.

Running the commands a second time solved it, the preference pane in System Preferences has disappeared. Thank you very much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.