Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sabester24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
I have a late 2015 5K iMac plugged into a CyberPower 850PFCLCD. My iMac kept freezing during startup- the loading bar would get stuck about half way. After doing some typical trouble shooting (i.e. PRAM and SMC reset) without any success, I started unplugging USB connections to try and isolate the problem. Turns out, when I unplugged the CyberPower UPS USB cord, the startup freezing went away. The usb connection between the iMac and UPS allows me to mange settings in case of a power disruption/outage, so it's a fairly important USB connection.

Anybody else experiencing something similar with a UPS? Any other ideas that would allow me to have the UPS plugged in via USB and still allow the iMac to startup properly?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Maybe the startup load for the iMac exceeds to specifications for the UPS?

sabester24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Are you using the Mac's built-in UPS management?

I believe I can only do this if I have the iMac plugged into the UPS via a USB cord- hence my problem...
[doublepost=1452718106][/doublepost]
Maybe the startup load for the iMac exceeds to specifications for the UPS?

Can you elaborate? I've had the UPS for about 2 years and haven't had any issues until recently. This is only a problem with the USB compatibility. Having the UPS's USB cord plugged in to the iMac is what is causing issues. The iMac seems to run fine with the power cord connected to the UPS.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've had the UPS for about 2 years and haven't had any issues until recently.
Well if its not a new UPS with new issues, then my thinking is incorrect. If it was fine, at some point and now its having issues, perhaps the UPS is failing in some way.

sabester24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
So after doing some more digging and research, apparently this had to do with needing to install startup daemons. I was able to download software from the manufacturer of the UPS and now the issue seems to be resolved.

mihirkamat

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
NJ
I have a late 2015 5K iMac plugged into a CyberPower 850PFCLCD. My iMac kept freezing during startup- the loading bar would get stuck about half way. After doing some typical trouble shooting (i.e. PRAM and SMC reset) without any success, I started unplugging USB connections to try and isolate the problem. Turns out, when I unplugged the CyberPower UPS USB cord, the startup freezing went away. The usb connection between the iMac and UPS allows me to mange settings in case of a power disruption/outage, so it's a fairly important USB connection.

Anybody else experiencing something similar with a UPS? Any other ideas that would allow me to have the UPS plugged in via USB and still allow the iMac to startup properly?

I have the same issue - both with a Cyberpower UPS and an APC UPS.
You should NOT have to install software for OS X to boot normally with a UPS attached. I've used both without problems for years.

This is a bug in 10.11. I've filed a bug report with Apple.
Apparently they rewrote the USB stack for 10.11 and there's a lot of bugs.

roadkill401

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2015
I had the same issue and my work around was not to plug the ups into the ports on the back of the mac, but to use a USB hub instead. This allows my iMac to boot without any issue and still have information about the battery. Now my APC RS ups don't properly come up with all the unit name and all that jazz but it will see the % of battery and can do its own shutdown if the % dropb below a certain point

mihirkamat

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
NJ
I had the same issue and my work around was not to plug the ups into the ports on the back of the mac, but to use a USB hub instead. This allows my iMac to boot without any issue and still have information about the battery. Now my APC RS ups don't properly come up with all the unit name and all that jazz but it will see the % of battery and can do its own shutdown if the % dropb below a certain point

I tried that. Even plugged into a hub I get boot failures (though less often).
Hopefully it'll be fixed in 10.11.3

sabester24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
I have the same issue - both with a Cyberpower UPS and an APC UPS.
You should NOT have to install software for OS X to boot normally with a UPS attached. I've used both without problems for years.

This is a bug in 10.11. I've filed a bug report with Apple.
Apparently they rewrote the USB stack for 10.11 and there's a lot of bugs.

While that may be true, downloading the startup daemon did fix my problem. Also just to clarify, it's not that I had a UPS attached from the power cord- it was the usb connection between the UPS and iMac that was causing the issues.

derickz

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2016
iMac power supply is no as same as PC, it used sb 12v replacement the normal 5v at PC. and also, its SMC has connection with power supply when you plug the power cord in.

I wan't recommend the way that you were using UPS.

sabester24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
iMac power supply is no as same as PC, it used sb 12v replacement the normal 5v at PC. and also, its SMC has connection with power supply when you plug the power cord in.

I wan't recommend the way that you were using UPS.

Do you mind elaborating? I'm a bit confused. Are you saying you don't recommend me using the UPS with my iMac?

derickz

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2016
Do you mind elaborating? I'm a bit confused. Are you saying you don't recommend me using the UPS with my iMac?

They are difference, you can using the UPS to supply the 110v power, but I won't using their power management.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.