Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendoss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2017
What is this unkown app and icon??? What is going on with iphone and apps...A friend of mine has a second “facebook” app running in the settings- system services. But cant find the actual app in home screen. The app has a strange ios icon as you can see in attachement. i am not sure if this question is in the right thread. Appreciate the help.

Attachments

• 8062A080-4CBB-4034-813C-5BDA559D58EF.jpeg
    8062A080-4CBB-4034-813C-5BDA559D58EF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 428

Sharkoneau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2017
Michigan
What is this unkown app and icon??? What is going on with iphone and apps...A friend of mine has a second “facebook” app running in the settings- system services. But cant find the actual app in home screen. The app has a strange ios icon as you can see in attachement. i am not sure if this question is in the right thread. Appreciate the help.
Well that's creepy. First, I wouldn't want that unknown thing using my location, ever. He might want to turn that off post haste. Does he have any sort of profile installed on his device, near the bottom of Settings > General?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
That icon is the standard Apple-supplied icon for when iOS can't locate the app's proper icon (due to download problems, etc.). Since there are two instances of Facebook, perhaps an old version of Facebook wasn't properly uninstalled.

However, since you took that screen shot in Settings > Privacy > Location Services, it's a good idea to check the main Settings list to see if there are two instances of Facebook there, as well. If yes, tap on each to check the version, and compare that to the current version number in App Store.

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Agreed that it is most likely a bugged version of Facebook that got stuck there from a backup restore. I would delete Facebook altogether and reinstall to see that gets rid of it.

You can also reset location services for all applications under General - Reset. And that way you remove access to location for all apps and then slowly re-enable them as you open the apps you use again.

Reactions: dmnc

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Since your display show always as an option you aren't running a current version of IOS and there were version(s) of Facebook that cause performance and battery issues. You should at least update to current version of Facebook if not. Not sure what version of IOS running but you also might want to change Always to when running if you can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.