Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

improponibile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2014
Hello all,

I have a question about network sharing. I have a MacBook Pro, connected via ethernet cable, and I use it as a hotspot to connect other devices via wireless.

Obviously, the wireless network is protected with WPA.

Even so, in the Finder window, under the Shared heading, I see the names of 3-4 pcs, most likely belonging to my roommates.

How is it possible? They deciphered the hotspot password?

Thank you for any replies.

Last edited:

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Are they connected to the same network as your ethernet cable goes to? Either by cable of different WiFi hotspot?

improponibile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2014
Thanks for your replies.

@simon48: Yes, I do, but those pc's names are just the nicks of my neighbours, so I'm pretty sure it's not due to the vm.

@simons!: the network I'm connected to via ethernet is called kotnet, and it's common to all the students in the town I live. It's very probable they can connect to it via ethernet as I am. Can it be due to this fact?

Also, I wanted to know if there is a tool to check all the IPs connected to my hotspot, in order to have a clear idea of the situation.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
@simons!: the network I'm connected to via ethernet is called kotnet, and it's common to all the students in the town I live. It's very probable they can connect to it via ethernet as I am. Can it be due to this fact?

Yes, likely you are seeing them because they are sharing on that network, not connected to your personal hotspot. To prove it, turn off your wifi, if they stay visible then they are connected via ethernet.

improponibile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2014
Yes, likely you are seeing them because they are sharing on that network, not connected to your personal hotspot. To prove it, turn off your wifi, if they stay visible then they are connected via ethernet.

Nice, this is just the case. Thank you very much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.