Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rannte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2016
Hi, I just sold my apple watch that I got a year ago. Before selling I unpaired it using the iPhone app and it was (from what I saw) in factory mode. The buyer now contacted me that the watch is still locked. So I got to iCloud.com and realized that the watch was still there so I deleted it there. He tried again but the watch said it's still locked. I checked the activation lock status on https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/ and yes, it's still locked. I don't know what to do. I don't want to give him my apple id and password. Does it take a certain time until the change is synchronized?!?

Thanks for your help!

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Unfortunately, there's a bug from Apple's end that sometimes prevents iCloud unlocking from happening. It most commonly occurs when the user fails to unpair the AW from iPhone (which is why it's recommended to always unpair the AW from iPhone rather than simply going into iCloud after erasing to remove the lock), but it's been known to happen even when this is done and you find yourself still iCloud locked.

rannte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2016
Thanks for your help. It only worked by giving him my iCloud PW which is really NOT how it should work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.