Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rastikan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Since I've proceeded with an OpenCore-Patcher-based upgrade of my old MBP 2012 with Sonoma I'm experiencing frequent system lock-ups, forcing me to force shutdown (power > 10 seconds), almost on a daily basis. It's almost (always???) in the morning when I try to unlock my machine by entering my password. The machine isn't completely frozen as it does show some notification such OwnCloud and other simple ones, but I can't enter my password, the login screen seems non-responsible. Could that beautiful Sonoma vineyards animation be related ?

Aside from this almost-daily-lock-up-on-unlocking-machine, the old MBP 2012 works decently, I work on it 8-12 hours a day, lots of dev. & Docker stuff, everything works normally. It's really between when I stop working on the machine and the next morning that something happens ...

At this time I don't feel I've lost too many files or work but I do realize that eventually I will.

Is anyone experiencing similar lock-up issues? Did anyone find a way to mitigate or reduce such occurrences? At this point I might start shutting down the machine explicitly when not using it.

stefman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
I'm having the exact same issue. My only solution so far is shut down the computer and not lock it. Not the best solution unfortunately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.