Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gothampixel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2017
Series 3 "Unlocking your Mac not supported with your Apple Watch,
Update your Mac’s software to allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac.
"

Anyone else getting this on their Mac trying to set up their new series 3 watch? I had it working with my series 0

Last edited:
Reactions: ColoArtist

ps3zocker

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Series 3 "Unlocking your Mac not supported with your Apple Watch,
Update your Mac’s software to allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac.
"

Anyone else getting this on their Mac trying to set up their new series 3 watch? I had it working with my series 0

It probably needs macOS High Sierra. So, just wait 3 days and update your Mac.

ronm99

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
Yes ... I see the same thing. I guess we need to update to High Sierra which is kind of annoying. I normally update my iOS devices instantly, but often delay until the ".1" or ".2" versions of MacOS software.

Reactions: Pared3s

ItsGavinC

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Yes ... I see the same thing. I guess we need to update to High Sierra which is kind of annoying. I normally update my iOS devices instantly, but often delay until the ".1" or ".2" versions of MacOS software.

Then don't update and type your password in like we've done for 30+ years prior?

ronm99

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
Then don't update and type your password in like we've done for 30+ years prior?

Thanks for the snarky reply. I could also throw out my computer and just use a typewriter (like people got by with for many years). All I said was it is kind of annoying, which is true.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
wait? what? that sucks. ive used my watch to unlock my work machine for a while now, and IT is always an OS release or two behind

elmacci

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2015
Munich, Germany
same here - cant unlock on macOs 10.12.6 with my lte series 3. it does however still work with my series 0 on the same machine. both watches on the same watchos4. so the only difference is the watch hardware itself. i do hope it has something to do with watchos 4 in combination with the series 3. would be a shame if it were high sierra that is needed (although grinny11 already wrote that it isnt related to high sierra).
At least i found this thread - thought i was crazy for a while when it didnt work :)

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
You guys did set it up again, right? (you're not just presuming it'll work, without disabling and re-enabling it for the new watch?) :) (sorry to state the obvious...buy you can't assume on here).

If you're stuck, I'd suggest you could go through the "unlock with apple watch" thread under the Sierra forum for lots of troubleshooting ideas. It can be pretty damn particular. Running the CAT tool to check all of the particulars isn't a bad idea either (especially if you have an older machine).

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
You guys did set it up again, right? (you're not just presuming it'll work, without disabling and re-enabling it for the new watch?) :) (sorry to state the obvious...buy you can't assume on here).

If you're stuck, I'd suggest you could go through the "unlock with apple watch" thread under the Sierra forum for lots of troubleshooting ideas. It can be pretty damn particular. Running the CAT tool to check all of the particulars isn't a bad idea either (especially if you have an older machine).

Yup, lol, this is what happens:

unlock.png

jthiele87

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
Works fine for me. Series 3 SS and High Sierra (2016 MacBook Pro TB). No issues what so ever..

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
Thats a bummer. I have gotten spoiled by having to type in my password. At least HS comes out on Monday. Not worth running the beta at this point

themaccast

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Update: Sorry, when I posted this I got my Apple Watch Series confused. I have a Series 2, not 3. Seems VERY odd that Apple would require the latest OS (that isn’t even released yet) for the feature to work. I’m leaving my original post below just in case it helps other having issues with older editions of the Apple Watch.

Original post:
I have an Apple Watch Series 3 Apple Watch Series 2 and I am running MacOS Sierra and this feature works for me. There are a lot of requirements to make this feature work and you need to make sure you meet them ALL. Requires a 2013 or newer Mac, you must be running MacOS Sierra or better, you must be running watchOS 3 or better. Your iCloud account must have 2-factor Authentication turned on (2-step Verification doesn’t count). Your Mac and Apple Watch must also be signed into the SAME iCloud account and you need the Mac set to lock and to have a passcode on set on your Apple Watch. I know the original poster said it was working on his Series 0, but it might worth re-checking all these requirements. Maybe something got reset in the upgrade?

Last edited:

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
I’m running the High Sierra GM Candidate and it works fine (after some initial irritation getting it enabled). If you’re super impatient that’s always an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.