Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bravo-the-kid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2017
Hello, brand new iPhone 8 64gb, pretty awesome. Really happy overall.

Out of nowhere, the entire home screen is unresponsive to any touch.

What doesn't work:
Home Screen - Swiping or interacting with anything
All Apps - opening, force touch, nothing. dead.
Hard resetting - (I've tried like 400 times) Sleep Button + Volume Down as long as 30sec...nothing.
Control Center - Cannot open calc, timer, camera

What works:
Siri - will answer requests but can't follow any links/apps she offers
Home button - can take screenshots, can unlock phone..
Touch ID - perfectly (btw, holy **** is it fast with A11)
Camera - sliding right from lock, can even open the photo and edit it...but if anything wants to move out of it (share, "All photos") I get denied...
Notifications - can see and open them from lock screen, but can't do anything with them
Control Center - turn on/off all settings; flashlight, wifi/bt/airplane, lock rot, sleep, brightness/volume...all fine.
I can even make phone calls from the lock screen, but can't see the call, control anything, or hang up; can only listen

It's bizarre and driving me crazy. I was able to remote erase from Find my iPhone online...then reset everything back up...

THEN...it happened again a few hours later when I was rearranging the home screen.
Seems like it would simple be a replacement iPhone...waiting for an appointment on Monday night...

Just thought I'd share...I'm stumped!
Thanks for reading

Last edited:

JayMosEnvied

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2010
Sucks that it happened to a brand new device but no worries. Apple will give you another one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.