Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pit29

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2006
The Golden State
Hi all,

I posted this in the Mac OS X forum 10 days ago, but got no response (74 views, though... and ~80 on Apple's Discussion forum, but no replies at all). So yes, this is a double post, but maybe this section is more appropiate?

Does anyone know why my pictures are unsorted in the Media Browser that you can access from Apple's standard Open dialog box? I use Aperture for my pics - they are in chronological order there, but in a random order in the Media Browser (even within individual projects). That does not make it easy to find pictures in larger projects... (Same if you open the Media Browser in e.g. Mail to attach pictures.)

Does any of you run into the same issue and knows what to do?

Pit

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Does anyone know why my pictures are unsorted in the Media Browser that you can access from Apple's standard Open dialog box? I use Aperture for my pics - they are in chronological order there, but in a random order in the Media Browser

You mean that you are looking inside the Aperture Library???

Don't do that.

I thought Aperture kept the library in a "bundle" so as to prevent people from looking inside.

Aperture is a non-destructive editor. If you apliy an adjustment or crop and then try and pull the file out of the library the adjustment or crop will not be applied.

The way to do this correctly is to export the image using the Aperure interface then use the exported file.

So far every single last request for help to this forum from Aperture users about their files has been from users who think they can look inside the Aperture library or that they can manage files outside of the library.

pit29

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2006
The Golden State
I did not do that.

In every OS X open dialog box, you can access the Media Browser, holding your iTunes songs and playlists, iPhoto and Aperture pictures and albums... I'll attach a screenshot.

In the Media Browser, the pictures used to be in the same order as in Aperture (sorted according to date, in my case). However, I noticed that they are not anymore sorted - the last pic I see in the list is not the last I have in that album in Aperture.

Attachments

• open.jpg
    open.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 109

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Option 1: If you click on the little triangle/arrow beside "Aperture" in the media browser (which you've currently got highlighted in the image you attached), you can click on the individual projects. That'll let you view the images in the order they are listed inside Aperture.

Option 2: In the media browser view, move your cursor down over the image thumbnails. Right-click (Option-click) in that window. That'll present you with two options: "Display as Icons" (which is the view you currently have) or "Display as list". If you switch to this second mode, you will have column headers for Name, Date, etc. You can click on any one of these headers to sort according to that property.

pit29

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2006
The Golden State
Thank you for the feedback!

Option 1: If you click on the little triangle/arrow beside "Aperture" in the media browser (which you've currently got highlighted in the image you attached), you can click on the individual projects. That'll let you view the images in the order they are listed inside Aperture.

That's the point: they are not all in the order they are listed inside Aperture. Most annoyingly, the "All Pictures" smartalbum (the english name could be different, but you know what I mean) is not ordered the same way as it is when I look at it in Aperture, i.e. according to date. (I just forgot to click on the Aperture triangle when I took the screenshot, but normally I do of course. Nevertheless: if you don't click on the Aperture triangle, you're supposed to see all of your Aperture library content. And should't that being sorted according to date even in thumbnail view?

Option 2: In the media browser view, move your cursor down over the image thumbnails. Right-click (Option-click) in that window. That'll present you with two options: "Display as Icons" (which is the view you currently have) or "Display as list". If you switch to this second mode, you will have column headers for Name, Date, etc. You can click on any one of these headers to sort according to that property.

I forgot about the list mode, which - of course - works. And in list mode, I can indeed sort my pictures according to date... However, they are mixed up again if I switch back to thumbnails.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
That's the point: they are not all in the order they are listed inside Aperture. Most annoyingly, the "All Pictures" smartalbum (the english name could be different, but you know what I mean) is not ordered the same way as it is when I look at it in Aperture, i.e. according to date. (I just forgot to click on the Aperture triangle when I took the screenshot, but normally I do of course. Nevertheless: if you don't click on the Aperture triangle, you're supposed to see all of your Aperture library content. And should't that being sorted according to date even in thumbnail view?

Okay, I didn't explain what I meant very well. What I meant was in the upper part you can see each project listed - those are in the same order as in Aperture. By clicking on a project in the upper part, you then just see the images in that particular project. Isn't that what you want to do?

pit29

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2006
The Golden State
Almost... the projects and albums are in the same order as in Aperture, but the images itself in e.g. the "All Pictures" album are in a different order than in Aperture. This is annoying if I want to find a picture which I know is among the last I've taken, but it's nowhere near the end of that album.

Sorry for being not clear in the first place. I appreciate your feedback!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I did not do that.

In every OS X open dialog box, you can access the Media Browser, holding your iTunes songs and playlists, iPhoto and Aperture pictures and albums... I'll attach a screenshot.

Sorry, I misunderstood. Do you see the disclosure triangle just to ther left of the word "Aperture"? Click it and then you can navigate into you Aperture folders and projects. I looks like the images are unsorted but you can control which set of photos appear.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
Almost... the projects and albums are in the same order as in Aperture, but the images itself in e.g. the "All Pictures" album are in a different order than in Aperture. This is annoying if I want to find a picture which I know is among the last I've taken, but it's nowhere near the end of that album.

Hmm... unfortunately, except for putting it into "display as list" view, I can't figure out another way to make it sort the way you want it to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.