Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryubyss

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2014
a bit more than two weeks okay I posted my 2020 i3 MacBook Air to Craigslist at the price of $425. so far, I have gotten one scam attempt but no legitimate replies. this might have to do with the meh quality photos that I provided (which I can attempt to remedy) but I think it may have had to do me having a too high a price. I've given it a clean install. I reduced the price from $450. included with it I have a free case that I got with an eBay purchase.

does the price seem reasonable to you? FYI I live in the Boston area in a city. I know that if I lived in a more rural area I'd have to sell it for less because of the difficulty of getting to me.

I don't know of a place where I can look up a price for it. (the Mactracker app did have that feature but it doesn't now.) using a search engine hasn't helped as I then get links to secondhand Mac retailers.

thanks in advance!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
They sell at around $400 used on eBay. When looking at the sold listings of small sellers. Power sellers get more.

So, you are only likely to get to $400. That is on eBay. Local will be 10%-20% less than eBay. Which is what you'll lose in fees and shipping anyways. Plus not risk shipping damage or refunds. I'd consider $350 to be more realistic.

Get a burner app and burner number. Advertise that number on Craigslist. You don't want to be on every spam call list forever but you'll get a better response. Also put on the ad something like, "I won't respond and consider you a spam bot and block if you don't text me the name of your favorite movie"

Also put the computer on Facebook Marketplace. That seems to be all I ever hear about people using to find used electronics locally nowadays.

ryubyss

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2014
@velocityg4 : thanks for the advice! I will adjust my price accordingly. should clarify that I meant scam not spam. one of those things where they pretend to live locally and then, once you've responded, they ask if I'll mail it to such-and-such a place and they'll send me a cashier's check. my post specifically says I won't do this.

will look into FB Marketplace. again, thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.