Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Hi everyone! I finished up one of three small series I've been working on for my intro to studio lighting class, and I just thought I'd share. I've already turned these in, but comments or feedback or whatever are welcome! I'm pretty proud of them, for the most part. I put a lot of time and effort into these, so I hope you like them too. :)

Click each for larger views!

cantaloupe.jpg

cucumber.jpg

kiwano.jpg

lemons.jpg

pomegranate.jpg

quinces.jpg

onion.jpg

eggplant.jpg

peppers.jpg

watermelon.jpg

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
These are very nice. And, the warm light just adds to the oddity of it. Are these physical or digital constructions?

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Colors are great, and the lighting is perfect! Very creative. How did you get that suspended in mid-air feel for some of the pictures? The warm light, soft shadows are really, really nice.

Great, great series! Looks to be an easy class for you!

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Very nice, love it. Looks creepy though with electronic parts sticking onto fruits...Where is the fruit right!!! :mad:

Haha, jking :p

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
These are very nice. And, the warm light just adds to the oddity of it. Are these physical or digital constructions?
They are pain-staking physical constructions :mad: :p
Love love love this series. Brilliant work; the colors are just perfect.

I'd be interested in high res versions.
High res, as in... how high? Or rather why? I'm not mad, just curious. I can post higher res version if you want, but you can already click them for 1000px high versions. ;)
Colors are great, and the lighting is perfect! Very creative. How did you get that suspended in mid-air feel for some of the pictures? The warm light, soft shadows are really, really nice.

Great, great series! Looks to be an easy class for you!
I used fishing line, which worked easily for some, and took a lot of thought for others. ;) (cantaloupes and watermelons are heavy!)
Very nice, love it. Looks creepy though with electronic parts sticking onto fruits...Where is the fruit right!!! :mad:

Haha, jking :p
Hahaha. ;)

Thanks everyone!

mattw126

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Naples, FL - Poughkeepsie, NY
Very cool work! I think you did a great job on the lighting, and I dig your subjects. I especially like the lighting of the 2nd one down/cucumber, the colors of the 8th down/eggplant, and the concept/contrast of colors of the next to last/orange peppers.

Thanks for posting your work, & what are the two remaining series going to involve as far as subject/technique?

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Very cool work! I think you did a great job on the lighting, and I dig your subjects. I especially like the lighting of the 2nd one down/cucumber, the colors of the 8th down/eggplant, and the concept/contrast of colors of the next to last/orange peppers.

Thanks for posting your work, & what are the two remaining series going to involve as far as subject/technique?
Thanks!
The next series I have already completed is a series of forks, spoons, and plates in black and white. Haha. You'll have to trust me for now, it's not as boring as it sounds!
The last (of the three) series I am planning to shoot tonight and tomorrow night. Not finalized on the details yet, but it will be portraits. :)
Have the fruit levitate is a nice touch. It heightens the surrealism. Nice work!
Thank you!

Holgapics

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2008
North Oregon Coast
I think your work is very well done and shows a great amount of thought and creativity.

It often seems that those who shoot in the 4:3 or 3:2 aspect ratio seldom consider a square format, such as a 6x6 camera gives you. To me it seems like a couple of your compositions might benefit from a square crop rather than full frame vertical. It's something you might consider for future work. Excellent work none the less.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Nice job!
Not only do they look fantastic aesthetically but they're really interesting to look at and work out what exactly makes up each sculpture.

I'm not normally a fan of surrealist stuff, but ay, fruit and electronics - they're really interesting mix.

Definitely the most creative thing I've seen in my time here.

I bet your proud!

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I think your work is very well done and shows a great amount of thought and creativity.

It often seems that those who shoot in the 4:3 or 3:2 aspect ratio seldom consider a square format, such as a 6x6 camera gives you. To me it seems like a couple of your compositions might benefit from a square crop rather than full frame vertical. It's something you might consider for future work. Excellent work none the less.

I definitely agree with you, and I love square format. I considered cropping some of these, but when it came down to it, I wanted as much consistency as possible, and a lot of these wouldn't fit comfortably in a square.

Here's a couple of shots I did for that class where I did use a square:

brownieSpecialSix20SM.jpg

landingCameraSM.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.