Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhobe6678

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Treasure Coast, FL
Hello all, new guy here. I'll try to make this short as possible.

New iphone 7 Plus (256gb, Matte Black), purchased a 42mm S2 Space Gray watch a few weeks later. The watch paired and worked beautifully with the phone. But then after two days, the watch lost connection, the time on the watch was running fast and the screen wouldn't respond to touch. One visit to the Apple Store on a Friday evening and I had the replacement watch in my hands by the next Tuesday morning.

I paired that with the phone and it worked. Two days later it lost connection and I couldn't get it back, also the time was running faster on the watch again. Before you ask, yes I did the reset of the bluetooth, put them both in airplane and out of it. I've gone through lots of extensive steps actually. I reset the watch, unpaired from the phone, tried to pair it back and the phone couldn't see the watch. Had the pairing animation on the watch, phone still would't recognize it. Tried manual, phone wouldn't see it. Reboot, reset everything, still nothing. Fast forward a day or so and the watch was able to pair back with the phone. 48 hours later again the same thing, it loses connection. All the while it says it's connection via WiFi (Cloud Icon on the watch). This is an ongoing thing, I can't get the watch to stay connected. The third time it did this (within a week) it stayed connection for 6 hours and dropped. Waited till the next day and paired it back. Now seeing how long it stays again.

The phone is on iOS 10.1.1, watch is on OS 3.1. The Bluetooth on the phone seems fine, I have a bluetooth headset I use at work all day, never drops a second while using it for calls or music. One time when the watch dropped, I tried to pair my headphones at work directly to my watch. I unpaired them from the phone and the watch took a while to see them while it was in pairing mode. When it paired, a minute later the headset said it dropped so I went to force it back from the watch and it wouldn't go for a minute. Then it did, I opened up music on the watch and the music started to play from the phone. I went into the bluetooth settings on the watch, headset was still there but then said not connected. Tried to force it and nothing. Paired the headphones back to the watch and it worked, but then the watch dropped from the phone.

So, possible I got a 2nd bad watch? Or am I just not meant to have one?

The current case I have open with Apple has been open since Oct 27, it's now Nov 6. I've sent logs (Vol UP+DOWN+Sleep/Wake Button) to Apple of both my normal configuration of my iPhone AND we even did a forced restore of the phone to factory and tried to pair the watch then, still nothing, they have the logs. They said the engineers still haven't found anything wrong.

Now, I appreciate them going through all the trouble. But this seems very unusual from all the other issues I've read. Like, this is hopeless. Nothing fixes it for more than a day or two. The watch functions perfectly fine when it's connected. All my notifications, calls, texts, etc. I've even chose to not install any apps and now I'm not even setting up my Apple Pay on it. The watch is just paired with the phone, no passcode, no apps other than defaults, even have Tracking turned off. WTF. I just want this thing to work.

Anyone else having similar issues? Are you not able to get your watch back from the grave for at least a day or so? When it completely disconnects, do you have to completely unpair/reset and wait a day or so before your phone will even see it again?

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Seems like the phone is the common denominator. I've read this there reports of similar issues with iPhone 7 and Watch disconnects.

I don't have a 7, so I can't say for sure.

jhobe6678

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Treasure Coast, FL
Seems like the phone is the common denominator. I've read this there reports of similar issues with iPhone 7 and Watch disconnects.

I don't have a 7, so I can't say for sure.

At this point it's hard to say really. What would cause the watch to start counting time fast when it loses connection? Why wouldn't the watch work with the same bluetooth headphones that the phone does? How come the watch can't be seen or connected to by the phone but all other bluetooth devices can? Because of Low Power BT?

It's still in the air. I'm going to attempt to trade watches with a friend today if possible. He has a series 1 that's been working flawless for a while he's willing to lend me. We will see if we can pair each others watches and how long they last. Mine is still going from yesterday with a very bare minimal setup. Fun fact, it's even using less battery than it was before. A whopping 6% drain in just over 6 hours of use (occasional texts, email notifications and checking time frequently).

Reactions: tromboneaholic

jhobe6678

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Treasure Coast, FL
Update: So my 3rd replacement watch died. I went in to Apple last Wednesday and they swapped the phone and sent that one out. I got the replacement on Friday. I paired it that night and it lasted till..... Monday afternoon around 2pm. Same thing as #1 & 3, the watch locks and the screen isn't responsive. The time moves faster and it's no longer online.

I restored the phone from my iCloud backup so there wasn't anything brought over from a bad iTunes backup. All apps downloaded and I even had to re-log into some of them. The only other option I could have tried was set up as new but I'd lose all of my iMessage data and my Keychain data as well I'm guessing.

I just sent them just over 1gb of logs again last night and now I'm waiting to hear back.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
You would still have messages on any other devices that are logged in to that Apple ID, but I think you would lose them on the phone.

Unfortunately contact data would restore by logging into iCloud if you have it selected to sync from one of your accounts.

jhobe6678

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Treasure Coast, FL
You would still have messages on any other devices that are logged in to that Apple ID, but I think you would lose them on the phone.

Unfortunately contact data would restore by logging into iCloud if you have it selected to sync from one of your accounts.

Well I don't have any other apple devices. I thought of getting an ipad as a backup device for that. I don't know if I can use iMessage and texts from it though. I just switched from Android.

Right now I primarily use Google contacts as my main source, all the contact pictures are stored in there and iCloud contacts don't store as much as Google in most ways. I can transfer all of them from Google to iCloud but then I risk transferring corrupt data I guess if there's corrupt contact data? I don't know.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
The iPad will use your iPhone to send text(green SMS) messages, and it does iMessage (blue) messages natively. With T-Mobile, my IPad can send text messages without my iPhone. I know some other carriers support that as well.

One option would be to setup the Watch and phone as new without adding contacts. It would give you a chance to see if that is really causing the issue. Might be a bit annoying not to have all your contacts, but you can always add the important ones in.

I guess it depends on how much inconvenience you're willing to go through.

jhobe6678

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Treasure Coast, FL
The iPad will use your iPhone to send text(green SMS) messages, and it does iMessage (blue) messages natively. With T-Mobile, my IPad can send text messages without my iPhone. I know some other carriers support that as well.

One option would be to setup the Watch and phone as new without adding contacts. It would give you a chance to see if that is really causing the issue. Might be a bit annoying not to have all your contacts, but you can always add the important ones in.

I guess it depends on how much inconvenience you're willing to go through.

Yeah, that is an option I'm trying to avoid since I have over 100 very important contacts alone just for my daily work. Let's not forget 3 email accounts (Which require 3 email programs because I don't like how iOS native email handles work and Gmail).

I just want the watch to work. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.