Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glndi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Wisconsin
I've become inundated with folders in my Mac Mail accounts, one a gmail and one a Mac Mail. With each system upgrade I get more folders. I now have Junk, Trash, Deleted Messages, Recovered Messages, Sent, Sent Messages and multiples of each. Where/why are these popping up and how can I get rid of them? Deleting the folders doesn't work.

I'm using OS X El Capitan 10.11.2

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
It's very difficult to diagnose the problem without knowing more about your particular setup. These problems usually happen with IMAP accounts from web hosting companies. Gmail is generally fairly stable, as is Apple's iCloud mail—so your situation is odd.

Try deleting the folders from the web interface of Gmail and iCloud. Then open Mail app and use the Mailbox>Rebuild function.

If that fails to solve the problem, I would suggest you completely remove the accounts from the Mail preferences. Quit the app. Relaunch Mail and input the account info from scratch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.