Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cazzie98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2017
I am looking for an awesome app that will help me keep all my application up to date. I am also looking for an application that when I remove an application it will removed all the bits and pieces that with it, it would be great if it could also find abandoned remains of applications delete.

Please send me all your cool suggestions

Thanks

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
When I need to "get rid of" an app, I use the free "AppCleaner".
Get it here:

Then, do this:
1. Open AppCleaner
2. Open your Applications folder (in the finder)
3. Grab the app you want to delete, and "drag and drop" it into AppCleaner's window.
4. AppCleaner will "look around" and gather up all the files related to the app.
5. If any are "unchecked", put a check into them.
6. Click the "remove" button, and they're ALL moved to the trash.
7. Close AppCleaner and empty the trash.
8. Gone!

I'm guessing there might be a few applications that AppCleaner can't "clean out" (perhaps Adobe stuff, Microsoft stuff, etc.). Those software publishers usually make available a standalone "uninstall" utility to get rid of them.

shanewtravel

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
I have been happy with TrashMe 3 (Mac App Store link).

It is not free (I paid $12.99USD for it earlier this year), but it covers both updates and uninstalls (along with a bunch of other features like cleaning startup items, managing duplicate files, etc.)

• Love
Reactions: allan.nyholm

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010

AppCleaner for app removal.

MacUpdater for app updates.

Been using it ever since I was using a Hackintosh with 10.4, about 15-16 years ago ! Love this app. Even runs natively on Apple Silicon!

If anyone needs a more modern app icon for it, here is the one I love: (source)

This is how it looks:

Screenshot 2021-11-29 at 10.07.40 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Weaselboy

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I am looking for an awesome app that will help me keep all my application up to date. I am also looking for an application that when I remove an application it will removed all the bits and pieces that with it, it would be great if it could also find abandoned remains of applications delete.

Please send me all your cool suggestions

Thanks

@Weaselboy beat me to the punch...

I cannot recommend MacUpdater highly enough. It regularly scans your installed apps looking for updates, and notifies you when there are updates available. For most apps, you can install the updates right from the MacUpdater interface, though some require you to launch the actual app update process... It was relatively cheap - $15 USD (perpetual license, NOT a subscription), and runs in the Menu bar.

DO NOT confuse this app (MacUpdater) with the MacUpdate website...

I also use AppCleaner to remove apps, as suggested by @Weaselboy, @Fishrrman and others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.