Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LisbethHSThomsen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2019
Denmark
Hi,

I have a MacBookPro from 2016, Touch Bar, 13 inch, 2.9GHz i5.
Available space: 136 GB.
I'm trying to update from Sierra 10.12.6.

During installation, with 3 min. left, I get the message (translated from Danish):
An error occured validating the installer data.
The download is either damaged or incomplete.

I tried:
- resetting PRam
- resetting SMC
- new user admin
- updating to High Sierra: I get a message saying that the updated cannot be installed on the disk. The disk does not meet the specifications for updating (translated from Danish). I am not 100% sure if it's a security update for High Sierra, or an update from Sierra to High Sierra, but gave up on this, because it should be possible to update directly from Sierra to Mojave.

Any ideas of what to try next?

Best,
Lisbeth

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
Try deleting the OS installer you already downloaded, then download it again and retry. Or you could download it again, close it (so it stays on your machine) then get a USB stick to make a USB Installer using Install Disk Creator, and use that to install Mojave. I know you said you had 136 GB free, but what is the full size of your hard drive and is it a Fusion drive per chance?

LisbethHSThomsen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2019
Denmark
Hi MSastre,
Thank you SO much - I only had to delete the installer, and download it again - now it works.
Very simple solution!
Have a nice weekend :)
Lisbeth

Reactions: MSastre
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.