Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edward in Colorado

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
Safari 11.0.1. Before the update to High Sierra I could open a second tab in Safari and I would not lose any of the other tabs I had open.

For instance, I have email open, if I then opened facebook a new tab would appear for facebook and the tab for email would remain (it would be moved to the side).

Now when I open the second tab (facebook) its tab REPLACES the tab for email.

Apple support told me to open in safe mode and if that didn't work to go to system preferences (on the mac), users and groups and remove the login items. I feel it must be something in Safari.

Edward in Colorado

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
Safari 11.0.1. Before the update to High Sierra I could open a second tab in Safari and I would not lose any of the other tabs I had open.

For instance, I have email open, if I then opened facebook a new tab would appear for facebook and the tab for email would remain (it would be moved to the side).

Now when I open the second tab (facebook) its tab REPLACES the tab for email.

Apple support told me to open in safe mode and if that didn't work to go to system preferences (on the mac), users and groups and remove the login items. I feel it must be something in Safari.

Chatted with Apple support. Once they understood what my problem was the chat person agreed this function was removed with the latest Mac OS. He too was not happy to see it go.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
So what you say is that basically there is no "Tabs" functionality in your Safari 11.0.1, because if you open a new tab, the other tabs get closed?

Websites opened by typing an address into the address bar will always open in the current tab. If you have your email open and you then type "facebook.com" into the address bar - while you are still able to see the email service webpage - you will always end up replacing the content of the current tab. That's how it works and has worked since Safari had tabs introduced.
Solutions to your (I believe non-existing, but perhaps it's just a weird workflow) issue are as follows:
- either press cmd+t to open a new tab first and enter the website address into the (new) address bar in the new tab, or
- in current tab enter the website address and use cmd+enter. This will open the address you typed in a new tab and make it active while preserving the older tab.

Last edited:

Edward in Colorado

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
So what you say is that basically there is no "Tabs" functionality in your Safari 11.0.1, because if you open a new tab, the other tabs get closed?

Websites opened by typing an address into the address bar will always open in the current tab. If you have your email open and you then type "facebook.com" into the address bar - while you are still able to see the email service webpage - you will always end up replacing the content of the current tab. That's how it works and has worked since Safari had tabs introduced.
Solutions to your (I believe non-existing, but perhaps it's just a weird workflow) issue are as follows:
- either press cmd+t to open a new tab first and enter the website address into the (new) address bar in the new tab, or
- in current tab enter the website address and use cmd+enter. This will open the address you typed in a new tab and make it active while preserving the older tab.

and you then type "facebook.com" into the address bar

i open email from my popular drop down, then I open facebook from my popular drop down. Before the upgrade the end result would be two tabs. The end result now is one tab open, facebook only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.