Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miknos

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
App Store is asking to update apps twice.

When I update an app, the same app appears to update after a day or two. I know the app was updated before. Don't know why App Store is showing the app again.

IOS 10.3.1
IPhone

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
App Store is asking to update apps twice.

When I update an app, the same app appears to update after a day or two. I know the app was updated before. Don't know why App Store is showing the app again.

IOS 10.3.1
IPhone
I experience the same issue sometimes for some strange reason the App Store will display the old version of the app to update rather than the new update so you think you're updating to the latest version but you're literally re-installing an older version of the app on top of itself

Reactions: Chazzle

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Same issue here, but I don't actually notice the version numbers at all. Doesn't seem to affect anything, it's just annoying to have an update that isn't really an 'update'.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I see the same thing - I wonder if it is developer fixing a bug but not updating documentation or version number

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Been seeing the same thing for a while. Brought it up in one of the beta threads. Tried troubleshooting to no avail though I can say that I have not experienced on this most recent iOS 10.3.2 beta 5. Knock on wood.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
This is very common. This is because the app update has been pushed to the servers, but the new update itself is not actually available. So it downloads the old version and reinstalls it. Then if you go back to check, usually 5 minutes later, it will ask you to update again because the full update has hit the server.

It's been like this since iOS 2. Can't really change it.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
This is very common. This is because the app update has been pushed to the servers, but the new update itself is not actually available. So it downloads the old version and reinstalls it. Then if you go back to check, usually 5 minutes later, it will ask you to update again because the full update has hit the server.

It's been like this since iOS 2. Can't really change it.
Can you present any kind of verification that this is what is actually happening? Never had this happen until 10.3. I am suspicious of your theory.

Reactions: cswifx

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Can you present any kind of verification that this is what is actually happening? Never had this happen until 10.3. I am suspicious of your theory.
What type of Verification? It happens, I open the "updated" app, the app states its the pervious version. I then go back to the App Store, update again, re-open the app and its the new version.

I'm not the only person to mention this. (Posts 2 & 4). It has literally been this way for years (Since iOS 2). It happens every single time if you catch the update as soon as its been released. I use Appshopper to notify me of updates, so this happens on a weekly basis for me. As soon as the update hits the server I get an email from Appshopper. But typically the update is not truly available yet which causes the double update.

If it only stated with iOS 10.3 for you, its because you have never caught the update within 1-2 minutes of hit hitting the server.

Last edited:

adham7897

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2017
Same here!
It always updates an app 3 times with the exact same update description!
Also, I don't understand how every Facebook update (at least last 30 updates) is 200MB while the full app is 220MB!
I'm sure they didn't re-code that much of the app in the last 30 updates...
These problems happen with most apps I have...
Something is wrong in the App store!
[doublepost=1494023671][/doublepost]
its because you have never caught the update within 1-2 minutes of hit hitting the server.
Not true..
I update an app, and see the same update hours later..
Sometimes, I install the same update 3 or 4 times in 2 days.

Reactions: Chazzle and PR1985

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Same here!
It always updates an app 3 times with the exact same update description!
Also, I don't understand how every Facebook update (at least last 30 updates) is 200MB while the full app is 220MB!
I'm sure they didn't re-code that much of the app in the last 30 updates...
These problems happen with most apps I have...
Something is wrong in the App store!
[doublepost=1494023671][/doublepost]
Not true..
I update an app, and see the same update hours later..
Sometimes, I install the same update 3 or 4 times in 2 days.
Thats an entirely different issue. Its possible the developer has pulled the update and resubmitted it. The issue outlined above is 100% normal and has been happening for years.

Reactions: Shark5150

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
What type of Verification? It happens, I open the "updated" app, the app states its the pervious version. I then go back to the App Store, update again, re-open the app and its the new version.

I'm not the only person to mention this. (Posts 2 & 4). It has literally been this way for years (Since iOS 2). It happens every single time if you catch the update as soon as its been released. I use Appshopper to notify me of updates, so this happens on a weekly basis for me. As soon as the update hits the server I get an email from Appshopper. But typically the update is not truly available yet which causes the double update.

If it only stated with iOS 10.3 for you, its because you have never caught the update within 1-2 minutes of hit hitting the server.
Explain this then. I deleted Instagram, then redownloaded it. Right after downloading, the App Store showed an available update for Instagram that was released 2 days ago.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Explain this then. I deleted Instagram, then redownloaded it. Right after downloading, the App Store showed an available update for Instagram that was released 2 days ago.
That sounds like an entirely different issue. I have never once had that happen. That could have been something on the server end that gave you the past version and not the current one. But thats not the same issue as having to update twice because the update hadn't hit the server yet.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
That sounds like an entirely different issue. I have never once had that happen. That could have been something on the server end that gave you the past version and not the current one. But thats not the same issue as having to update twice because the update hadn't hit the server yet.
I think you are tying to answer our question using the only explanation that you know of and then taking our actual issue and saying it's unrelated because it doesn't fit with your explanation. You're the one that tried explaining this phenomenon by saying that it's because the update was released but hadn't hit the server yet, then you turn right around and say that these examples are all a separate issue because your one explanation was proven to be wrong.

And you should know more than most that just because it hasn't once happened to you doesn't mean that it can't be an ongoing problem for someone else. Hence the reason I asked for some kind of proof that your theory regarding the timing that it hit server as the cause. Clearly that theory is not what is going on here.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think you are tying to answer our question using the only explanation that you know of and then taking our actual issue and saying it's unrelated because it doesn't fit with your explanation. You're the one that tried explaining this phenomenon by saying that it's because the update was released but hadn't hit the server yet, then you turn right around and say that these examples are all a separate issue because your one explanation was proven to be wrong.

And you should know more than most that just because it hasn't once happened to you doesn't mean that it can't be an ongoing problem for someone else. Hence the reason I asked for some kind of proof that your theory regarding the timing that it hit server as the cause. Clearly that theory is not what is going on here.
Seems like none of the theories can really be ruled out based on an example that might come off as a negative one, but could potentially simply be a somewhat different scenario (even if it seems similar enough).

Reactions: Mlrollin91

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

There is a major difference from a hypothesis and theory. A hypothesis is a guess based on an observation, a theory is something that is an overarching explanation of a phenomenon with evidence to support the hypothesis via testing. We have no way to test, therefore it is not a theory.

I don't have proof except my 8 years of experience and the occasional conversation with an Apple Store Genius about the issue here and there over the years (my buddies). Additionally, other people in this thread have said the same exact thing as me. Therefore, I am not the only one make this claim, yet you are only questioning me. Why is that? You even liked post #2 which literally said the same thing as me. That makes no sense.

The issue you described is 100% different. Anyone reading this can distinguish that. This issue is regarding "updating apps twice", not "deleting an app, downloading it from the App Store and being prompted to update it from a 2 day old update".

I'm fully aware because it hasn't happened to mean doesn't mean it can't happen to others. How is that at all relevant to this post. I merely said it hasn't happened to me, meaning I am unaware of what could possibly be causing that issue.
[doublepost=1495655701][/doublepost]
Seems like none of the theories can really be ruled out based on an example that might come of as a negative one but could potentially be a somewhat different scenario (even if it seems similar enough).

This. The scenario is not the same. We aren't talking about deleting apps and redownloading, we are talking about updating an app twice. They are different issues, similar (maybe), but different nonetheless.

panar

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
Same here, really old bug, made its first appearance along with the "app thinning" or "app slicing" feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.