Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I'm going to give myself a graduation gift: a new lens. My budget is probably around 500 € (preferably lower, everything I spend extra needs to be taken out of the budget of my next notebook), perhaps a bit more.

I currently own:
(0) A Nikon D80. I'm very happy with this camera, I feel no urge to upgrade. I also have a flash (the small SB-400).
(1) Nikon 18-70 mm standard lens.
(2) 50 mm f/1.8 made in Japan.
(3) Nikon 80-200 mm f/2.8 (the push-pull variety).

The 80-200 bazooka zoom (a friend of mine nicknamed it) is my favorite lens, but it's very long (on crop). I very much like taking portraits, especially in the range of 35-100 mm on full frame (~23-70 mm on the D80). However, I've always toyed with the idea of getting an ultrawide angle.

Now the situation is that I'm not really happy with the performance of the 18-70 mm. Nothing is really wrong with it, but it's slow and although I can't really put my finger on it, pictures taken with a 28-70 mm f/2.8 Tokina back in the film days or those taken with my 80-200 mm zoom usually simply turn out nicer.

I went to a shop today and tried the Tokina 12-24 mm and although I liked the lens very much, I don't think it'd be enough. So I'm toying with a few ideas and I'd like some input from you guys:
Plan 1
(1) Keep the 18-70 mm.
(2) Get the Tokina UW zoom.

Plan 2
(1) Sell the 18-70 mm.
(2) Get a used 28-70 f/2.8 zoom from ebay (I'm eying for Tokina again).
(3) Save up some more and get the 12-24 mm zoom.

Plan 3
(1) Sell the 18-70 mm.
(2) Get Tamron's 17-50 mm f/2.8.

Although the Tamron feels better than expected, I wasn't excited: the focal length feels about the same as with the 18-70 (I know that I'm missing 20 mm ;)). Doesn't feel like I'd be expanding my artistic horizon.

Do you have any suggestions for me?

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
The 18-70mm is a much-loved lens by many. You can try the Tamron 17-50, Sigma 18-50 or if you want guaranteed performance, you can get the Nikon 17-55. I have that one.

One plan that would give you a wide range is something like the Tokina 12-24 and Nikon 28-70, though the latter is going for almost as much used as the 24-70 is new right now.

Do you use the second half of the 80-200's range much? The Tokina 50-135 could be your answer to that part of the range, and allow you to sell the 80-200.

I'm not sure I'd sell the 18-70, if for no other reason than because you're not going to get much for it. Maybe $250 at best. You can pick it up at Adorama and KEH for that price in good condition.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
The 18-70mm is a much-loved lens by many.
As I said, it's not a bad lens, but it's slow and I can't really play with depth of field in a meaningful way.
You can try the Tamron 17-50, Sigma 18-50 or if you want guaranteed performance, you can get the Nikon 17-55. I have that one.
I'd really like the Nikkor, but it just doesn't fit my budget.
Do you use the second half of the 80-200's range much? The Tokina 50-135 could be your answer to that part of the range, and allow you to sell the 80-200.
That's another lens I've been thinking of for a long time now. Back when I bought the 80-200, it simply wasn't available yet and I agree, the focal length would be better suited. I use 200 mm alright, but starting at 120 mm (equivalent on full frame) for a portrait lens is a tad limiting. However, I thought I'd focus on the shorter end at this point. But perhaps a 12-24 + 50-135 combo wouldn't be such a bad idea either. Choices, choices.

Basically, I have to stay in budget, so I'll have a look at ebay and see whether this is realistic.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
As I said, it's not a bad lens, but it's slow and I can't really play with depth of field in a meaningful way.

You can fix the slow part, but standard zooms aren't really meant for manipulating depth of field, at least not as I understand it. You have to be very close to a subject to do it, and by then, most lenses will do in one form or another. I can't really make for a shallow depth of field with my 17-55 until I'm close to the people I take shots of. I do benefit from it being a constant 2.8, though.

There's also the 35-70mm 2.8, which is running a bit higher than before these days, probably due to the D3/700 and the shortage of 24-70s out there, but it's good glass.

I'd be wary of eBay, and instead would look at KEH, Adorama and the buy/sell forums at places like fredmiranda, and the classifieds over at Photo.net. Also, this may be helpful for you: http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan

You can fix the slow part, but standard zooms aren't really meant for manipulating depth of field, at least not as I understand it. You have to be very close to a subject to do it, and by then, most lenses will do in one form or another.
Well, it does help neutralize the background if you are in the 40~50 mm region. See for instance here (from my film days):

I apologize for the bad quality, I've scanned it with my cheap flatbed scanner and the photo is just a snapshot. But you can see that the background is much smoother and nicer and I'd like to be able to do similar things on my D80 again.

I've considered the 35-70 Nikkor and it's on my list of alternatives to the 28-70 Tokina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.