Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tudyniuz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Amsterdam
I've decided to get a 15" Macbook Pro with Retina to go besides my late 2012 Macbook Air and replace my Windows laptop.

Will I be able to upgrade the RAM and the SSD after a while? I want to get the 2.6 quad-core, but it would be helpful to save some money by getting less RAM and storage and upgrade those later.

I couldn't find much on the Apple website, so, is the storage and RAM of the 15" rMBP upgradable?

Thanks!

Last edited:

BaggieBoy

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2012
UK
The RAM is soldered in and is non-removable/replaceable, so whatever it has when it is built is what it will always have. The SSD doesn't have a standard interface but is expected that upgrades will become available in the near future.

chelch

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2012
There are no user replaceable parts in the MacBook Pro with Retina Display, though one can upgrade the SSD via this OWC product, but that might void the warranty.

The RAM is soldered onto the logic board.

It will void the warranty, so hang on to the original SSD. If there's ever a problem and you have to bring it to Apple, put the original SSD back. As long as you never damage anything, there's no way for Apple to know you replaced the drive.

Go for the 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD, then upgrade the SSD when you're ready.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Ram is soldered. OWC does sell compatible ssds, but you'd need to replace them with the original parts if your machine ever requires warranty service. Nothing in the machine is considered user serviceable to the point where the bottom of the case uses something like pentalobe screws. They seem to have dropped in price somewhat. Just remember there's no guarantee of ever finding these cheap. They're using proprietary connectors rather than newer standards like mSATA. This means you have limited options. If futureproofing is more of a concern, I would personally go refurb base model and trade up within a couple cycles. If you get a good deal on the purchase and time the resell well, it can be a better value than going for bleeding edge upgrades, just because of how much some of them can tack on.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
The lack of upgradeability is one of the reasons why I purchased the cMBP. I sure hope Apple does not make this a habit, I don't want to go back to Windows :(

tudyniuz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Amsterdam
Thanks for the answers guys. I guess I'll save some more money and get all the RAM possible. It's too bad there isn't a Fusion Drive option in this model, but I guess it would have taken too much space to have it.

Anyways, things are clear now :D

Mdwall

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
There are no user replaceable parts in the MacBook Pro with Retina Display, though one can upgrade the SSD via this OWC product, but that might void the warranty.

The RAM is soldered onto the logic board.

I just wonder what's the benefit of the OWC drive over the 512GB model? You spend roughly the same amount for less storage. You also get the faster processor which isn't a huge difference but a difference still. Plus you dont risk messing something up and the potential warranty issue. Though I suppose the benefit of having the secondary drive is a bonus, there are still cheaper external SSD's out there and either one would require an enclosure to be useful at all. It's neat they offer it and I'm sure eventually the might go down in price but I doubt we ever see a large market for a proprietary connection for a reasonable price.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

chelch

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2012
I just wonder what's the benefit of the OWC drive over the 512GB model? You spend roughly the same amount for less storage. You also get the faster processor which isn't a huge difference but a difference still. Plus you dont risk messing something up and the potential warranty issue. Though I suppose the benefit of having the secondary drive is a bonus, there are still cheaper external SSD's out there and either one would require an enclosure to be useful at all. It's neat they offer it and I'm sure eventually the might go down in price but I doubt we ever see a large market for a proprietary connection for a reasonable price.

There are 2 benefits.
1. The OWC drive is faster.
2. You get 676GB of storage instead of 512GB for a little more.

Are these benefits worth it? IMO not yet. The price needs to come down a bit more, and the size needs to go up. I would still choose the OWC option vs giving :apple: $500 for 256GB, but if you can wait for larger drive options at a better price then wait. I read somewhere (sorry I can't remember, but it was probably on this forum somewhere) that a larger drive is coming to OWC this summer.

And if :apple: is putting these proprietary drives in all their new MBPs (2013), then there will be an after market for them for a long time to come.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.