Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I'm currently running a mid-2009 MBP with 2 GB RAM and 2.26 ghz core duo. It's been upgraded to snow leopard from the original leopard. I've been thinking about upgrading to Mountain Lion to take advantage of some of the newer features (just got an iphone 5, so icloud is enticing). I know that Apple says my machine meets the technical requirements, but I've heard that 2 GB RAM may not be enough. I'm not technically knowledgable, so I wouldn't want to replace the RAM myself. Is upgrading worth it?

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I'm currently running a mid-2009 MBP with 2 GB RAM and 2.26 ghz core duo. It's been upgraded to snow leopard from the original leopard. I've been thinking about upgrading to Mountain Lion to take advantage of some of the newer features (just got an iphone 5, so icloud is enticing). I know that Apple says my machine meets the technical requirements, but I've heard that 2 GB RAM may not be enough. I'm not technically knowledgable, so I wouldn't want to replace the RAM myself. Is upgrading worth it?

Yes it is, the newer the OS is the more RAM it seems to need, 2 GB on Mountain Lion is really low and I would go to a minimum of 4 GB but 8 would be much better.
You do have the 13" MBP I think, if so 8 GB is the maximum RAM it takes.

RAM is not hard to install, AFAIK you need a screwdriver to open the bottom, that's it, you could go to ifixit.com to see how to change your RAM.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Upgrading RAM is easy if you can operate a Philips #00 screwdriver and ten screws. The rest is a pull and push operation.
Your MBP can take 8 GB of RAM and 2 GB RAM is not enough to run OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion smoothly even with only one application open at one time.

----------

You do have the 13" MBP I think, if so 8 GB is the maximum RAM it takes.

For 2009 MBPs the size does not matter, as even my 17" MBP from 2009 is maxed out at 8 GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.